Even the Italians are getting away from murdering people - the future of OC really is fraud

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Re: Even the Italians are getting away from murdering people - the future of OC really is fraud

Post by Ivan »

17 murders by the mafia in one year still sounds like a huge amount to me, being an American and everything.

When was the last time the American Cosa Nostra killed 17 people in one year? Probably in the 80s or early 90s I guess, when all five families in New York would still often kill several people a year. And Aiuppa + DeMeo + every other family at the same time surely pushed it over 17 per annum late 70s and early 80s. :) I'm sure it happened most years in Prohibition, and when 20+ families were in their heyday.
Last edited by Ivan on Mon May 06, 2024 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
Strax
Straightened out

Re: Even the Italians are getting away from murdering people - the future of OC really is fraud

Post by Strax »

In the first 4 months of this year, just in Naples you had over 15 murders. In Italy wars pop up pretty quickly, especially in Naples.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

I remember news articles making the same predictions about the mob abandoning old rackets as newer ones emerged. That didn't necessarily happen, at least not because these new rackets came about. There have certainly been a number of rackets that the mob has left behind but that's been due to other reasons and not simply because other sources of income are available. The mob, in Italy or the US, will go to wherever they can make money.
All roads lead to New York.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

They are doing.. basically variations of Michael Franzese's daisey chain scheme.. except with every product they can, not JUST gas. It takes a corporate structure to pull off.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

extortion is still very common, it is true that murders have decreased tremendously from the 90s to today
Lefty Ruggiero
Associate

Post by Lefty Ruggiero »

Ivan wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:58 am 17 murders by the mafia in one year still sounds like a huge amount to me, being an American and everything.

When was the last time the American Cosa Nostra killed 17 people in one year? Probably in the 80s or early 90s I guess, when all five families in New York would still often kill several people a year. And Aiuppa + DeMeo + every other family at the same time surely pushed it over 17 per annum late 70s and early 80s. :) I'm sure it happened most years in Prohibition, and when 20+ families were in their heyday.
I hear ya there but when you look at it through the lens of how pervasive and systemic OC is there, its a relatively low number.
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

scagghiuni wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:22 am extortion is still very common, it is true that murders have decreased tremendously from the 90s to today
Late 80's and 90's were really chaotic in Italy, early 2000's in Naples too.
KCMOb
Associate

Post by KCMOb »

I'm convinced what is left of "the Kansas City mob," if anything, is just low to mid level, quasi legitimate fraudsters. It's by no means definitive, but if you look up the familiar last names involved in the KC "mob" on Missouri Casenet, some appear to be constantly involved in some sort of litigation. Whether it be with business partners or credit companies, etc. I get many average people have traffic tickets or go to small claims court or whatever, but some of these people have pages and pages of civil and criminal cases.
jrobert
Prospect

Post by jrobert »

its a smart move murders just create heat better to not do it problems can be solved with a sitdown make money notheadlines
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

900 murders a year un 1991! States never got CLOSE to that.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:29 pm 900 murders a year un 1991! States never got CLOSE to that.
i remember that year, there were at least 3 mafia/camorra/ndrangheta-related murders for day but in 1980s in Palermo there were days with 5/7 mafia-related murders
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

looki at the Meldish murder and what happened to the upper echelon of the Luchese family - Crea and Company!