Operation Iron Tower

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Operation Iron Tower

Post by felice »

I don't think he was arrested during that operation
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I have a bunch of FBI files that outline the narcotics business that I know is related to Ocello and members and associates relating to Iron Tower but the file is so redacted I can’t get a handle on anything. Apparently, one of those involved with Ocello was a Giuseppe Artale who was himself arrested in early 1990 on drug charges. A little background on Artale is he was born in Roccamena, Sicily and immigrated to Rockford in 1963 with his family. From what I understand, his father Gaspare was a mafia member in Sicily but I don’t know if that meant his membership transferred to Rockford in 1963 when they came over.
In November 1975 Giuseppe Artale opened Rita’s Restaurant in Rockford with his friend, Joseph Marsala. Interestingly, Artale married Marsala’s widow after she shot and killed Marsala in 1979 because she said Marsala threatened her.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:19 am I have a bunch of FBI files that outline the narcotics business that I know is related to Ocello and members and associates relating to Iron Tower but the file is so redacted I can’t get a handle on anything. Apparently, one of those involved with Ocello was a Giuseppe Artale who was himself arrested in early 1990 on drug charges. A little background on Artale is he was born in Roccamena, Sicily and immigrated to Rockford in 1963 with his family. From what I understand, his father Gaspare was a mafia member in Sicily but I don’t know if that meant his membership transferred to Rockford in 1963 when they came over.
In November 1975 Giuseppe Artale opened Rita’s Restaurant in Rockford with his friend, Joseph Marsala. Interestingly, Artale married Marsala’s widow after she shot and killed Marsala in 1979 because she said Marsala threatened her.
Good info. Tangential to the topic here, but it seems to me that the Marsalas in Rockford went back to Caltabellota and had ties to LaSalle County as well. If so, could be relevant given that Ocello is Burgitano.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

I found this chart of Operation Iron Tower for those who may be interested

Note: Joseph Cuffaro is not the mafioso of the Caruana-Cuntrera clan, but an individual from Palermo. He later became pentito and testified against Giovanni "Big John" Galatolo