Historical Bosses of Palermo Province

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Historical Bosses of Palermo Province

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm3 - We know that's how things ended up later, but the DiLeonardos were involved from the first decade of the 1900s. That's what makes this difficult. You can look at someone like Girolamo Asaro who lived in Manhattan and ran a saloon where the Manhattan Castellammarese hung out, but no doubt he was part of the family based in Williamsburg given his background and Carlo Costantino bailing him out of jail, plus all his descendents joining the Bonannos. But that wasn't followed 100% of the time, so who knows. Al D'Arco's sponsor Joe Schiavo was a Castellammarese who lived on the Brooklyn/Queens border and reported to a captain whose family came from Trapani (Vario), but they were all Luccheses, a family that was centered in the Bronx/EH.
We really don't know much of what DiLeonardo was doing though either, he wasn't involved in counterfeiting so the SS wasn't on him and if he met Cascioferro during this time, the agents failed to identify him. Now, the SS didn't capture everything so that's not indicative of anything. Cascioferro, aside from Morello and Boscarino (of Bisac.), he was friendly with Inzerillo (Resuttana) and others in Lower Italy, he even had one friend described as a French-Italian.

He had a nephew in the 1900's named Peppino, in 1914 Clemente met a Cascio nephew with the surname Guarino who was 25 making him likely too young to be ripping and running a decade prior. Anyway, there's current Guarino's in the Gambinos today, are they Bisacquinese?
B. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm 4 - This must have happened, but it kind of goes against the argument you make in your article (which I agree with)... while there were exceptions, it looks like the NYC families were formed mainly around compaesani lines, and we know most other US families were formed that way. What confuses it is that compaesani were typically centered in a specific colony, so you do see territory-based affiliation but it's hard to separate how much of that is location vs. the fact that compaesani tended to live near each other. But you also see people like the Bronx Palermitani who "should" have gone with the Lucchese/Genovese but didn't.
I don't see it that way. I mean it's a fact, not my own theory that these affiliations ran on regional affiliation. We see elements of it in the modern times. But it's like anything with this subject, there are exceptions. We have examples of members who didn't go through a ceremony, who didn't have to kill someone, who wasn't even Italian on his father's side. These exceptions don't delegitimize the normal standard.

Sicilians are quite proud of where they came from so there is that. But even more importantly, the mafia is an interpersonal organization that recruits through close friends and relatives. Given mobility at the time, we tend to see Families with membership all centered in one city or area. But if you're a member and you had the chance to deal with a stranger from your hometown or with another member from a different city, you'd likely choose the other member.
B. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm This does go back to Palermo, though. We know Sicilian mafia affiliation was based almost entirely around neighborhood and village, yet Allegra was a Trapanese made into a Palermo family. However he doesn't seem to have had a mafia background and was living in Palermo, so that makes sense. Then you have the early Catania members who reported to a Palermo family. They didn't have a family yet but given the territorial nature of the Sicilian mafia you'd think Catania members would report to a closer family in Caltanissetta or Agrigento. It does actually make sense that they would be under the sponsorship of a family in the island's powerbase of Palermo. I think it's for similar reasons that you typically see NYC families with "remote" crews (i.e. Springfield, Montreal) even though there were other families closer to them.
Yeah, many would think that just like they'd think Phila.'s Boston Crew should be affiliated with the Patriarcas or the Gens, but it has to do with affiliation and their ran through Phila. I always assumed it spread throughout Sicily that way.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:04 am We really don't know much of what DiLeonardo was doing though either, he wasn't involved in counterfeiting so the SS wasn't on him and if he met Cascioferro during this time, the agents failed to identify him. Now, the SS didn't capture everything so that's not indicative of anything. Cascioferro, aside from Morello and Boscarino (of Bisac.), he was friendly with Inzerillo (Resuttana) and others in Lower Italy, he even had one friend described as a French-Italian.
We just know Jimmy DiLeonardo wrote a letter to Cascio Ferro circa 1909 sending his regards and asking for an update on something unspecified (possibly the Petrosino murder). Then we have Michael DiLeonardo saying Cascio Ferro originally sent Antonino and Jimmy DiLeonardo to NYC. So we don't know the two DiLeonardos' activities in NYC during this period, but there was a relationship with Cascio Ferro.
B. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm Sicilians are quite proud of where they came from so there is that. But even more importantly, the mafia is an interpersonal organization that recruits through close friends and relatives. Given mobility at the time, we tend to see Families with membership all centered in one city or area. But if you're a member and you had the chance to deal with a stranger from your hometown or with another member from a different city, you'd likely choose the other member.
The question is how many people from a given hometown were truly strangers.

--

Not so much responding to you here, but just riffing on this thought:

- John Pennisi talked about how mafia members in his experience are "washwomen" and organizational gossip spreads quickly. I imagine this was especially true among compaesani. The letter between the elder Stefano Magaddino (the uncle in Castellammare) and Girolamo Asaro in NYC shows them discussing various people from their hometown. I'm sure this type of thing was necessary to mafia administration as well as gossip.

- Gentile said he went to Pittsburgh to join Gregorio Conti who he had never met in person, but the two had been exchanging letters for some time. He moved to Pittsburgh and joined that family following Conti's encouragement (obviously w/ approval from his previous boss). This was a pretty big revelation to me, as it shows a boss communicating with a member in another city that he only knew by reputation and the member decided to join him.

- Plays into what you said about this not being the Sopranos, where a highly desirable member like Gentile was not permanently leashed to a given boss, but could go elsewhere. Conti wasn't "poaching" members, just networking. Like you said, it's a fact that compaesani shared affilition in most cases and for that reason I don't think many people casually transferred around inside of a city like NYC, but it does show you that when a member had an opportunity in another city or other circumstantial reasons to transfer, they could. One reason I think the early mafia did not try to leash its members is because the bosses themselves were wealthy, either self-made or from an affluent blood family. This thread is a great example of this... many of these Palermo bosses were financially accomplished and influential regardless of the membership.

- When Vito Bruno moved to San Francisco, he was told to contact boss Francesco Lanza who set him up with an address to receive mail and a job. Lanza's father had been a boss in Sicily and he was a wealthy businessman. He doesn't seem to have told Bruno, "I'll get you a job, but when are you going to start kicking up envelopes, young man?" As a boss, he helped a member of the network become established in his city and maybe there were material perks for Lanza we don't know about, but that wasn't the basis of the relationship. The Bay Area families were among the most umimpressive "crime families" in the US, but they were impressive mafia networkers which kept their groups alive well beyond their expiration date as criminal groups.

- Imagine one of the remaining members from LA going to Philadelphia, contacting Joey Merlino and asking for help finding a job? Sounds crazy, but maybe not. Pennisi said Lucchese associate Pete Tuccio contacted Merlino on Instagram and because Merlino had briefly met Tuccio in NYC and heard he was a wild kid, we know he took him under his wing and they're in every other picture together from the past few years. Networking. Maybe Gentile and Conti were the 1910s equivalent of Instagram friends. Maybe when Vito Bruno contacted Lanza, Lanza checked their "mutual friends" list and decided to add him as a friend. Silly, but not that far off. Full circle back to compaesani, you have to imagine the chances of having a "mutual friend" within mafia compaesani was 99/100.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Agreed on all.

Regarding the question surrounding who would know who. I meant "know" in the mafia sense. If you and I are from Bisacquino and you come from a long-term affiliated family and you yourself are a member. And I come around and you meet me in NY, you know me from Bisacquino as a good kid who comes from a non-affiliated family and I'm talking a good game. Let's say I, a Bisacquinese non-member and a Bagheria member comes to you with the same opportunity. Do you chose me because I'm Bisacquinese or do you go into business with the member from Bagheria who will follow and abide by same code you do. Depends but many would chose the member from Bagheria, which, on its face, debunks the compaesani elements if you wish to look at it like that.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:00 am Agreed on all.

Regarding the question surrounding who would know who. I meant "know" in the mafia sense. If you and I are from Bisacquino and you come from a long-term affiliated family and you yourself are a member. And I come around and you meet me in NY, you know me from Bisacquino as a good kid who comes from a non-affiliated family and I'm talking a good game. Let's say I, a Bisacquinese non-member and a Bagheria member comes to you with the same opportunity. Do you chose me because I'm Bisacquinese or do you go into business with the member from Bagheria who will follow and abide by same code you do. Depends but many would chose the member from Bagheria, which, on its face, debunks the compaesani elements if you wish to look at it like that.
Sounds like we're back to organizational vs. operational, haha.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:17 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:00 am Agreed on all.

Sounds like we're back to organizational vs. operational, haha.
It's multifaceted which is what makes it so fascinating.

Looking up Fratellanza records now. It was a regional name to describe what is the mafia, also there were 3 separate affiliations in Favara alone.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Fratellanza stuff. I didn't want to say to much because I didn't want to inject myself into any opinions you may form. But interesting shit.

I'm watching Queen of the South, a series on Netflix, not bad, right now. And it made me ponder something for the first time ever- What if two informants- a cartel boss was in close proximity a former LCN boss long enough that they became friends and the cartel boss asked him "so how does your organization do it, what's your glue?" What do you think the LCNer would say if he was being candid? We could evaluate it from two different aspects- a John Gotti or a Frank Cali/Vince Mangano standpoint as each might wield different answers. It's good to compare and contrast groups.

Main differences I see-
Mafia- ranks adhere to internal society/Cartel- ranks are bused on duty (assassin, production, runners etc)
Mafia- centered around network-compaesanismo/Cartel- centered around drug racket.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

To update:

Palermo Centro
Ernesto Palmigiano, consigliere in early 1900s
Giuseppe D’Accardi, 1940s-1952
Filippo Vassallo, vicecapo in 1940s-1950s
Angelo LaBarbera (k 1975)
Ignazio Gnoffo, 1975-k, 1981
Vincenzo Sorce, vicecapo in 1970s

Porta Nuova
Carlo Brandaleone, 1920s-1940s; stepped down to consigliere until his death in 1962
Gaetano Filippone, 1940s
Giuseppe “Pippo” Calo, 1969-1980s
Salvatore Cangemi [Cancemi], vicecapo in 1970s/1980s
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

Giuseppe "Pino" Lipari - Consigliere/Treasurer or Secretary for Bernardo Provenzano
He was a curator of Don Tano Badalamenti's assets then became close to Riina then a consigliere to Provenzano and acting as a treasurer for the Corleonesi's assets.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

B. wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:23 pm Here is how I'm understanding the succession in these two villages:

San Cipirello
Vito Todaro (19??-1922) - Fugitive, survived 1921 assassination attempt, came to NYC in 1922 to meet Giovanni Pecoraro (length of stay unknown)
Domenico Pardo (1922-192?) - Fugitive, came to Rockford 1920s, became involved in local mafia
Ignazio Bilello (19??-19??) - Fugitive, unknown where he fits in
Giuseppe DiMaggio (19??-19??) - Unknown where he fits in, responsible for attempt on Todaro's life in 1921, may have taken over when Todaro-Pardo leadership left, said to be opposed to the Puleio-Troia-Termini leadership in SGJ while Todaro-Pardo faction appeared to be allies of them (could indicate he seized the opportunity to take over around mid-1920s when the previous San Cipirello and San Giuseppe bosses fled and Termini was incarcerated)

San Giuseppe Jato
Antonino Puleio (1910s-1920) - Fugitive, mayor of SGJ, responsible for ordering murder of politician Salvatore Mineo
Vincenzo Troia (1920-1925) - Fugitive, town councillor of SGJ, fled to Illinois then settled in Newark, top level US mafia figure 1930-1931, murdered 1935
Santo Termini (1925-1927) - Mayor of SGJ, tried in 1926 for mafia crimes and incarcerated
Vincenzo Traina (1927-19??) - Unknown where he fits in, but as a member of Puleio-Troia-Termini clan likely took over after the other three
Giuseppe Troia (1945-19??) - Became boss and mayor in 1940s, a doctor, was described as part of the senior leadership in 1920s

The years are an educated guess and some of these guys could have been "sostituti", underbosses, or otherwise in acting or defacto positions. All were described as "capomafia", a position synonymous with boss/rappresentante.
Regarding Domenico Pardo....I see where you indicate he may have been San Cipirello boss starting in 1922. I have seen many newspaper articles showing his age in 1927 as 21 years, thus giving his birthdate as 1906 but this would be in error as he would only be 16 in 1922. I did see one article with an older age that indicated an 1881 birthdate which I agree with. I'm assuming since he was deported in 1936 due to criminal charges in Rockford, that he went back to San Cipirello. Is there any info on his whereabouts after there?
Additionally, seeing that he was in Chicago/Rockford in 1927 it appears he followed his paesano Troia to the United States after Troia arrived 1925/1926. I'm wondering if Pardo lived in the heavily-SGI section of Madison when he first arrived since many of his countrymen were there or he possibly went to Springfield, Illinois where there were the Zito brothers and others. Thoughts?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Not sure myself what became of Pardo or exactly what his trajectory was apart from what you've found. I know Giuseppe DiMaggio's nephew flipped much later and though he wasn't made he knew some of the history, curious what he might have known about some of these other names.