Madison, Wisconsin Bombing - Troia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

Madison, Wisconsin Bombing - Troia

Post by cavita »

Attached is a description of the bomb that went off at Natale Troia's store in Madison in 1929. His wife, Providenza Licari Troia was in Rockford, Illinois visiting family. This Troia would end up moving to Rockford and dying there in 1948. His obituary stated he was born in Palermo but it's interesting to know that his wife was born in SGI.
Unknown if this Troia was related to Vincenzo Troia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cavita
Full Patched

Re: Madison, Wisconsin Bombing - Troia

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:55 am Attached is a description of the bomb that went off at Natale Troia's store in Madison in 1929. His wife, Providenza Licari Troia was in Rockford, Illinois visiting family. This Troia would end up moving to Rockford and dying there in 1948. His obituary stated he was born in Palermo but it's interesting to know that his wife was born in SGI.
Unknown if this Troia was related to Vincenzo Troia.
Photo of the bomb's damage at Troia's store at 102 South Park Street at the corner of Milton and Park Streets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Jim Troia of the Madison Family was also from Palermo and married a woman from SGJ.

There were two Natale Troias in Madison -- one was Jim's elder brother and the other was their first cousin, both born in 1892. I think one died there in 1966 and the other in 1944. So this was a third one?

The cousins Natale/Jim and Natale also share a paternal grandmother whose maiden name was Zito but it looks like their paternal grandfather Natale was born in Palermo citta like them so I can't find any clear evidence these Troias were from SGJ. Seems likely they had ties there given the different connections just can't figure it out.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

B. wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:57 am Jim Troia of the Madison Family was also from Palermo and married a woman from SGJ.

There were two Natale Troias in Madison -- one was Jim's elder brother and the other was their first cousin, both born in 1892. I think one died there in 1966 and the other in 1944. So this was a third one?

The cousins Natale/Jim and Natale also share a paternal grandmother whose maiden name was Zito but it looks like their paternal grandfather Natale was born in Palermo citta like them so I can't find any clear evidence these Troias were from SGJ. Seems likely they had ties there given the different connections just can't figure it out.
This Natale Troia with the store that was bombed was born April 1, 1892 in Palermo which I suspect was actually SGI. He came to the U.S. in 1908 settling in Milwaukee and in 1909 moved to Rockford. He married Providenza "Florence" Licari in 1918 in Rockford and moved to Madison in 1919. He eventually moved back to Rockford in 1940 and died in Rockford on June 22, 1948. His father was Settimo Troia, born 1869 and died in Madison in 1949. Natale had brothers Gaspare, Vincenzo "James," Giacomo, Anthonio, Giuseppe and a sister Mrs. Joe Amato, all of Madison.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Another view of the bombed store
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

cavita wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:28 pm
B. wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:57 am Jim Troia of the Madison Family was also from Palermo and married a woman from SGJ.

This Natale Troia with the store that was bombed was born April 1, 1892 in Palermo which I suspect was actually SGI. He came to the U.S. in 1908 settling in Milwaukee and in 1909 moved to Rockford. He married Providenza "Florence" Licari in 1918 in Rockford and moved to Madison in 1919. He eventually moved back to Rockford in 1940 and died in Rockford on June 22, 1948. His father was Settimo Troia, born 1869 and died in Madison in 1949. Natale had brothers Gaspare, Vincenzo "James," Giacomo, Anthonio, Giuseppe and a sister Mrs. Joe Amato, all of Madison.
Okay yeah, so there were only two around that age and this was Jim's brother.

His FamilySearch profile had contributions from Gavin Schmidt so I didn't scrutinize it but I see the 1966 death record was user-submitted by someone else and the actual document isn't included. There was a much younger Natale Troia born in 1949 who died in 1966 so I'm guessing that's where it came from -- I think that was the cousin's grandson.