What was the Combaneesh?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

OmarSantista
Straightened out

Re: What was the Combaneesh?

Post by OmarSantista »

Angelo Santino wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:22 pm
motorfab wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:32 am
Eline2015 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:05 pm The more I try to delve into this topic, the more I realize that what we consider the Camorra in the USA had nothing to do with the honorable society in Naples. The American Camorra, like the American Cosa Nostra, was a system that united gangsters from all parts of mainland Italy. Each faction of the American Camorra had its own ceremonial or name, like the Calabrian Societa Camorra de Lucre in White Plains.
It depends on the case, but yes I quite agree.

I don't think the Navy Street Gang had people from elsewhere of the province of Naples, but if you take the "Combaneesh" or even the Calabrian Societies of White Plains or Hillsville there were Calabrian elements & Neapolitans. + in Chicago and NY people like Torrio from Basilicata or Ricci from Puglia could be considered Camorristi (or at least well connected to some Camorristi).

In addition to Naples, the Camorra had branches in Calabria, Abruzzo, Puglia or even in Sicily, so ultimately it is not too surprising that a mix of organizations in America was formed.

Speaking of Sicily and the Società Camorra de Lucre, I read an article a few years ago that a cop named Giovanni Leopoldo from NY was inducted in Palermo into this Camorra Society. His mission was cut short when he received a note warning him that his identity had been discovered, but the fact that he was inducted into a Camorrist society in Palermo intrigued me when I read it. The article appeared in several newspapers in 1915

For those who want to read it here is a link to the image https://zupimages.net/up/24/06/aftg.jpg
Thank you for posting this. If you have any other articles with interesting graphics and images I could use them and will cite you.

It's a very interesting article but I am somewhat hesitant on the Camorra in Palermo in 1815. My research indicates it was started in prison after 1820 but no later than 1835. According to Monnier who interviewed people in Naples, he couldn't find anyone who recalled such a sect existing before the 1830s. I'm not dogmatic about it but I have done alot of research, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. And I will thank you for finding things I have not.

There's a story that a certain Pasquale Capuozzo formed the Camorra in 1820, you will see his name on a list of capintesta in Naples. This comes from Vittorio Palioti who wrote a book in 1978 about the Camorra's history. His citation for Capuozzo was Antonio Nisco who says no such thing. Capuozzo was born around 1830 and was an 1860s contemporary who left the Camorra and Antonio Mormile signed off on a death sentence. The author is still alive (he's in his 90s) so I tread respectfully but what he says didn't happen. There was a Pasquale Capozzi in the 1820's but he was sentenced to life in prison, he wasn't murdered by his wife in 1824 like Palioti's version suggests. And don't even get me going on Michele Aitollo which is likely bullshit as well.

As you know, I'm starting a new podcast and substack relating to the American Camorra. I have alot to share but I want credit for it. Which is why I'm marketing my name next to the project. Once I have more content created I'll release it but the first bit of stuff will be Italian-side related leaving some to ask, "OKayyyyy, so when do we get into the American Camorra." I need to go through the early stuff for it all to make sense.

There was Camorra in Messina in the late 1860s that's documented. I suspect there was a presence in Palermo but that's based on everything I've seen on the macro and no direct evidence.

For people interested in this niche of a niche, I was going to add more stuff before announcing it but for here, I'll do a "quiet opening." Here's my first two articles on the subject, article 3 is in the works and after that I need to make some YT videos John-Pennisi style.

I appreciate any and all feedback- https://americancamorra.substack.com/

(Also, thanks to JCB, Eric and Tony whom I've conversed with about this subject and they've kept it under wraps out of respect for me. It's taken me awhile to get to this and comes a point where my wanting the credit is slowing the pace of discovery to new information through multidisciplinary evaluation. I am a Camorra guru but that doesn't mean I know everything. For every thing I know there's 100 things I do not.)

IMG_0538.JPGIMG_0537.JPG
That's amazing Angelo! Can't wait to dive in to what you've been working on for so long!
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

OmarSantista wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:42 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:19 pm
scagghiuni wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:23 am so Vito Genovese was a member of the camorra before?
I've seen him mentioned as a former Camorra member on other threads. There's also a story about how he visited a Camorra member who was imprisoned but I don't know the details on that.
Genovese, Frank Amato and John Volpe (future Pittsburgh guys) , and Carmine Franzese were visited Tony Parretti, camorrista from Navy st Coney island combine, before he was executed on electric chair.
Yes I remember coming across this somewhere, the prisoner was about to get the electric chair, indicating Vito went to see him 1 last time, I forget who it was.
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

Bingo and eline2015 I actually used to watch your YT channel, glad your posting videos again, keep it up.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

CabriniGreen wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:07 am Pretty interesting stuff. I believe it. Camorrista is still an Ndrangheta rank, I believe it's before Sgarrista.
Correct. The ‘Ndrangheta evolved in Reggio Calabria over the course of the 20th century from the older 19th century “Camorra” (Onorata Società [Honored Society] or Società di Umiltà [Society of Humility]), which was documented as present all over the Mezzogiorno. The highest “dote” (literally “gift”, but used like degrees in Freemasonry) in the old Society was that of Camorrista and those holding this rank were like Master Masons, full members of the Society (they were organized into a Major Society which controlled the lower ranking members organized in a corresponding Minor Society). Over time, the Society in Reggio added the dote of Sgarrista, and subsequently added additional higher ranking doti above that. The variant in Reggio thus took on distinctive characteristics and came to be called ‘Ndrangheta, from a local word from the Greek dialect formerly spoken across much of Southern Calabria referring to a “man” or “manly” qualities (though it of course still calls itself Onorata Società), but it is in origin a local evolution of the old Society. Whereas in Campania after the 1910-1920s (it persisted longer in the provinces rather than Napoli city), the Onorata Società declined from intense LE pressure, in Calabria it remained extant and acquired new characteristics. Hence when Raffaele Cutolo sought to re-establish the extinct Campanian Onorata Società, he did so via being inducted into the ‘Ndrangheta in prison.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, as with the different terms for the mafia people shouldn't get too hung up on terms for the mainland organizations. The modern 'ndrangheta evolved with its own unique developments but the fact that it's now called 'ndrangheta shouldn't get in the way of its apparent origins with the Camorra and the term once applying to both. As said earlier, multiple LCN member sources referred to these Calabrian-centric organizations as Camorra and Magaddino even referred to the Canadian 'ndranghetisti as Camorristi in the 1960s. One transcript shows he was familiar with how they function too.

It's interesting too that the Sicilian mafia along with the Camorra both used Onorata Societa historically and it fell out of use with both of them around roughly the same time. While they aren't the same organizations, you can easily see how Camorristi were able to enter Cosa Nostra although they did retain their own characteristics even in the US.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

One thing I am curious about is the evolution of the 'ndrangheta hierarchy.

We know that the honored society since 1860 until the 1920s maintained its structure, there might have been deviations in office positions but it remained unchanged from

MAJOR
Camorrista
MINOR
Picciotto
Giovinotti Onorati

If you look at modern 'ndrangheta structures, camorrista appears to be under sgarrista in the MINOR society, indicating that between 1920 and 1970 a new grade (society)- sgarrista was implemented and eventually more grades until the grades of camorrista and sgarrista were downgraded into the minor society. I've never seen this explored until the 1970's with the implementation of santista.

Sgarrista, I find interesting because informant Gaetano Costa referred to it as sgarro. That term existed as doti / fuori in the 19th century. If a picciotto wanted to get noticed he could commit facial slashes or other dangerous acts on behalf of the society and he'd be award the title picciotto di sgarro.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:51 pm Yeah, as with the different terms for the mafia people shouldn't get too hung up on terms for the mainland organizations. The modern 'ndrangheta evolved with its own unique developments but the fact that it's now called 'ndrangheta shouldn't get in the way of its apparent origins with the Camorra and the term once applying to both. As said earlier, multiple LCN member sources referred to these Calabrian-centric organizations as Camorra and Magaddino even referred to the Canadian 'ndranghetisti as Camorristi in the 1960s. One transcript shows he was familiar with how they function too.

It's interesting too that the Sicilian mafia along with the Camorra both used Onorata Societa historically and it fell out of use with both of them around roughly the same time. While they aren't the same organizations, you can easily see how Camorristi were able to enter Cosa Nostra although they did retain their own characteristics even in the US.
I can say that the name picciotteria was not widespread in Calabria, it was also called the fibbia, the sacro circolo, famiglia Mandobano in other parts. And close relatives of this so-called picciotteria in San Roberto were members of the camorra società di lucre in New York. Plus the name doesn't sit right with me, why would the society label themselves a variation of picciotto when their top grade was camorrista?

As far as members joining the mafia, we see their use of multiple societies. Going from giovinotto to picciotto to camorrista isn't like going from soldier to capo to underboss, its joining an entirely higher class and going through another ceremony. So joining the mafia would be just like joining another class, something that's ingrained in their system. This stands in stark contrast to the Mafia which only has one class of membership- mafioso/made guy/stromberg etc. Whether someone is a soldier or boss of bosses they all fit within that same grade (society) of mafioso.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Angelo Santino wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:42 am One thing I am curious about is the evolution of the 'ndrangheta hierarchy.

We know that the honored society since 1860 until the 1920s maintained its structure, there might have been deviations in office positions but it remained unchanged from

MAJOR
Camorrista
MINOR
Picciotto
Giovinotti Onorati

If you look at modern 'ndrangheta structures, camorrista appears to be under sgarrista in the MINOR society, indicating that between 1920 and 1970 a new grade (society)- sgarrista was implemented and eventually more grades until the grades of camorrista and sgarrista were downgraded into the minor society. I've never seen this explored until the 1970's with the implementation of santista.

Sgarrista, I find interesting because informant Gaetano Costa referred to it as sgarro. That term existed as doti / fuori in the 19th century. If a picciotto wanted to get noticed he could commit facial slashes or other dangerous acts on behalf of the society and he'd be award the title picciotto di sgarro.
I forget the term in Italian, but there's also " Master of the day" ...? What do you think about that one?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

CabriniGreen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:31 am
Angelo Santino wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:42 am One thing I am curious about is the evolution of the 'ndrangheta hierarchy.

MAJOR
Camorrista
MINOR
Picciotto
Giovinotti Onorati

I forget the term in Italian, but there's also " Master of the day" ...? What do you think about that one?
I reckon that's the modern equivalent of camorrista da giornata which was an assistant/1st lieutenant to the capintriti and capintesta, each had one. It was an office position like capintesta/capobastone or contaluolo/contabile. Rocco Pellegrino was 1st lieutenant in Westchester in the 1910s, at some point later he joined the Gens and became a captain.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I am working on Article 3 which deals solely with the structure- the overall society, the grades of membership, the doti, the office positions and ceremonies. It makes more sense to view it as a true secret society like the freemasonry more so than through a mafia-centric lens which is why I'm also doing a brief comparison and contrast with the more well known and understood Sicilian model.

Are there any questions or subjects or talking points that people specifically want me to go through? My first draft is currently at 17 pages on Word, but I'm still pondering what else to add. My main intention here is to familiarize everyone with the structure and hierarchy, if I can't do that I'll consider it a failure.

(Note, I am not an expert on the modern 'ndrangheta, I defer to Dickie, Sergi and Nicaso. Like with Mafia, my knowledge peters out after the 1920s.)
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Im try to made about ranks between societies
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Eline2015 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:03 am Image
An interesting chart, but I think the correct 'ndrangheta term corresponding to "paranza" and "borgata" is "'ndrina", not "locale". A "locale" is formed of several 'ndrine, like the Sicilian "mandamento". Not sure whether there are any 'ndrangheta and camorra terms for "decina" though, or a camorra term corresponding to "locale" and "mandamento".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Glad you made a distinction between avvicinato and associate. While avvicinati are technically mafia associates it is almost like being a step higher (or literally "closer") within the Sicilian mafia's own form of a minor society.

This does sort of exist in the US mafia as there is a difference between being an "on record" associate who has been registered with the Family (think when Ruggiero went to the underboss about "Brasco") versus simply being "with" someone. Difference is it is less formal and there isn't specific terminology that really separates them. In practice it is similar though.

If you watched the original Pennisi episodes, you saw him kind of wince and start to question that Russo guy when he said he was proposed for membership multiple times despite never being "on record". It's not exactly the same and the system is different but it's almost like saying he was offered a position in the major society without attaining the necessary degree within the minor society.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Another thing to point out about the DeCarlo transcript is the unspecified Italian word he mentions that they believe means "kids" or "recruits" is picciotti, which means "young man" but was the name for the higher degree in the Camorra's minor society.

The traditional mafia also uses picciotti but it refers to soldiers, which makes them part of the mafia equivalent to the major society. The Sicilian mafia also uses the term "Giovane d'Onore" to refer to associates which is very similar to the Camorra's Giovinotti Onorati.

So he's saying the guys like Boiardo, Capone, Moretti, Genovese, and probably Del Duca were Camorristi (major society) while DeCarlo and others were picciotti (minor society). The Camorristi were essentially made members. It sounds like Ciaffone was at least a picciotti too as he is knowledgeable. Wouldn't be surprised if his brother-in-law Aniello Ercole of the Genovese started around the Brooklyn Camorra too.
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:21 am
Eline2015 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:03 am Image
An interesting chart, but I think the correct 'ndrangheta term corresponding to "paranza" and "borgata" is "'ndrina", not "locale". A "locale" is formed of several 'ndrine, like the Sicilian "mandamento". Not sure whether there are any 'ndrangheta and camorra terms for "decina" though, or a camorra term corresponding to "locale" and "mandamento".
For me, the locale is borgata, because there is a locale that also has a kind of territorial attachment, like the Siderno locale or the Torreta mafia. The capolocale is also elected, like a boss in the mafia, and he appoints the contabile, crimine and mastro di giornata. Also, it seems like he approves of this, and then recognizes mother in San Luca, the new ndrinas. But it's just my opinion.