Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by B. »

Good info.

Giglio was allegedly related to Galante (couldn't confirm it myself) and in turn when I looked into Fauney D'Angelo's family they were closely intertwined with another branch of Giglios in the East Village. Sal's family was Castellammarese but lived in Palermo for a time and the ones connected to Fauney were living in Palermo before the US, one of them coming to the US with D'Angelo's father. Sal Giglio's father had his naturalization witnessed by a D'Angelo. D'Angelo's brother-in-law / cousin in turn was a Galante but I don't know if he directly related to Carmine.

I'm curious if D'Angelo was also with the Morales crew by then. He apparently associated with them and I haven't seen anything placing him with the Notaro crew in the 1960s. If D'Angelo was the early 1970s informant as I suspect, I considered that Sal Giglio may have been the sponsor he referred to given he said their families were close going back to Sicily and it's evident the D'Angelos were connected to Giglios in both Sicily and the East Village.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Is there a reason why you suspect D'Angelo was with Morales? LCNBios reports that in 1964, D'Angelo was handling part of a blackjack game with Nino Adamo for Michael Sabella, so I suspect he was with Sabella, which makes sense given John Bonventre was active in that area of East Harlem.

Not sure if we'll ever know, but I wonder why Giglio apparently switched crews? It doesn't appear that any other members tied to the Galante crew were moved.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Okay, that makes sense he'd be with Sabella -- I remember seeing that now. I didn't have anything substantial to think he was with Morales, only that he had some level of association with them and his family might have been close to Sal Giglio. D'Angelo later ended up with the Salvo crew which had roots under Angelo Caruso.

The East Village Bonanno element is heavily overlooked and had multiple decine with members there. Sabella / Bonventre, Colletti / Caruso, Galante, and probably others. I suspect Girolamo Asaro was an early captain there.

With Giglio, there is a report (might have been a wiretap) about him losing standing in the Family and he basically went AWOL. Maybe that contributed to him switching crews.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I remember that report, pretty sure it was from a wiretap in Canada where Zaffarano met with some members there and he talked about Giglio. I haven't come across much else on him, so I'm not sure why he stopped associating with the family, seems like it was a self imposed exile so to speak but can't say for sure.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:03 pm Adamo, Michael
DOB: 5/20/1910
POB: Vita, Trapani
F: Giuseppe Adamo(Unknown, but I’d guess Vita)
M: Giacama Adamo(Vita, Trapani )
Wife: Grace Cannarella
Occupation: J.L Sportswear, 340 Marconi Blvd, Copiague NY 11726Self employed at 50 Marconi Blvd, CopiagueNY 11726
Origin: Vita, Trapani
Address: 217 N Chestnut St, Massapequa, L.I NY 11758
Photo: Yes(Later in the 60s I think)
FBI# 1553086, NYCPD #138773
His mother’s maiden name was GIACOMA ACCARDI.

- That was the name she used when she immigrated but it was crossed out and replaced with Adamo.

(https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark ... 1:J6NF-M3D)

———

Mike Adamo is supposed to Sam Accardi’s cousin; this is probably how they were related.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

JoelTurner wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:37 pm
Occupation: J.L Sportswear, 340 Marconi Blvd, Copiague NY 11726Self employed at 50 Marconi Blvd, CopiagueNY 11726

- That was the name she used when she immigrated but it was crossed out and replaced with Adamo.

———

Mike Adamo is supposed to Sam Accardi’s cousin; this is probably how they were related.
Good timing, I've actually been trying to untangle the Adamo/Accardi/Morsellino relationship. Giacoma's parents were Rosario Accardi, and Giuseppina. I can't quite make out the maiden name on the marriage certificate:

Michael's father was killed in 1922 in New York at a card game on Allen Street. His companion claimed that they were at a card game when it was robbed, and Adamo was killed when he resisted, but the police noted that nothing was taken from Joseph.

In a bit of an aside, Michael apparently married his step sister, his mother remarrying a few years before Michael and his wife did.

As has been noted before, both Settimo and Vincenzo Morsellino arrived to the US together in 1927, and listed their relative in America as a V. Accardi at 302 Wilson Ave in Bushwick Brooklyn, although it appears no Accardi is listed as living there on the census.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 am
JoelTurner wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:37 pm

———

Good timing, I've actually been trying to untangle the Adamo/Accardi/Morsellino relationship. Giacoma's parents were Rosario Accardi, and Giuseppina. I can't quite make out the maiden name on the marriage certificate:

Michael's father was killed in 1922 in New York at a card game on Allen Street. His companion claimed that they were at a card game when it was robbed, and Adamo was killed when he resisted, but the police noted that nothing was taken from Joseph.

In a bit of an aside, Michael apparently married his step sister, his mother remarrying a few years before Michael and his wife did.

As has been noted before, both Settimo and Vincenzo Morsellino arrived to the US together in 1927, and listed their relative in America as a V. Accardi at 302 Wilson Ave in Bushwick Brooklyn, although it appears no Accardi is listed as living there on the census.
The maiden name looks like Garofalo.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 am As has been noted before, both Settimo and Vincenzo Morsellino arrived to the US together in 1927, and listed their relative in America as a V. Accardi at 302 Wilson Ave in Bushwick Brooklyn, although it appears no Accardi is listed as living there on the census.
The only “V. Accardi” that comes to mind is Vincenzo Accardi, a relative of Sam’s who lived in Newark.

Here’s some interesting connections with him:

- In 1921, He came to the US with Salvatore Mangiaracina, the Bonanno member from Partinico.

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Q-GP18-WY9)

- In 1930, he lived at 354 S 7th St, Newark, NJ. The Surdi family who was intermarried with the Accardi family also lived there. [Joseph Accardi’s wife was Pietra Surdi]

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Q-GRHR-HHM)

I don’t think he ever lived in Brooklyn so I’m not sure if he’s the right one.

————————-

Sam Accardi’s maternal grandparents were Giuseppe Avila and Pietrina Morsellino of Calatafimi, Sicily. His relationship to Vincenzo comes from that side of his family.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Vita and Calatafimi were also one Family during that time period according to pentito Leonardo Scavuzzo. The Accardis and Morsellinos were probably affiliated with one Family in Sicily in addition to being relatives.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 am
The maiden name looks like Garofalo.
Thanks RIck!
JoelTurner wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:48 am
The only “V. Accardi” that comes to mind is Vincenzo Accardi, a relative of Sam’s who lived in Newark.

Here’s some interesting connections with him:

- In 1921, He came to the US with Salvatore Mangiaracina, the Bonanno member from Partinico.

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Q-GP18-WY9)

- In 1930, he lived at 354 S 7th St, Newark, NJ. The Surdi family who was intermarried with the Accardi family also lived there. [Joseph Accardi’s wife was Pietra Surdi]

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Q-GRHR-HHM)

I don’t think he ever lived in Brooklyn so I’m not sure if he’s the right one.

————————-

Sam Accardi’s maternal grandparents were Giuseppe Avila and Pietrina Morsellino of Calatafimi, Sicily. His relationship to Vincenzo comes from that side of his family.
Thanks Joel!

There is another branch of Morsellinos who are connected to the Accardis I found recently.

In 1941, Pietro Morsellino was a was shot and killed in Brooklyn outside his dress factory, along with his sister in law. Joe Petrosino's nephew Prospero went undercover in the "Unione Siciliana", which Pietro was said to have belonged to, in Williamsburgh, and learned that the shooter was Carlo Barone, who was arrested for loansharking with Pietro's brother Rosario a few years prior. Barone and a Dominick Grippo were arrested for the murder, Barone as the shooter and Grippo as an accessary since he supplied the guns. Barone was later executed, and Grippo sentenced to prison. There's a Dominick Grippo listed as as Bonanno soldier in 1970s list that may be a match.

When Rosario arrived to the US, he also came from Tunis and listed an uncle Salvatore Accardi as his relative there. Chances are that was Sam's father.

Pietro and Rosario's parents were Giuseppe Morsellino, and Rose Vanalla. Vincenzo's father was also Giuseppe, so their fathers may have been cousins.

There's also a Vito Morsellino who married 60s captain Benny Restivo's sister.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:15 pm There's a Dominick Grippo listed as as Bonanno soldier in 1970s list that may be a match.
No idea if he was the Bonanno member with that name but the one involved in this murder was born June 19 1914 to Francesco Grippo from Pietra Pertusa (near Rome) and Giovannina La Greca from Canneto-Lipari, Messina, Sicily.

I was hoping for a connection to the Newark-Bonanno Grippi family but oh well 😆

The Morsellino shooting story is pretty intriguing, I wonder if they were members.
thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:15 pm There's also a Vito Morsellino who married 60s captain Benny Restivo's sister.
I don’t think he was a criminal; he worked as a baker like his BIL Benny Restivo.

He was born Dec 8 1903 in Calatafimi to Francesco Morsellino and Paola Girardi.

Interestingly, he also listed “Salvatore Crivello” as an alias.
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Hey guys. Did I correctly heard in you podcast, that Galante was member a Evola's decina?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Eline2015 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:32 pm Hey guys. Did I correctly heard in you podcast, that Galante was member a Evola's decina?
If so, probably misspoke. I believe Evola and Galante were captains roughly at the same time. Nothing comes to mind that would place Galante with Evola.
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

thekiduknow wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:29 pm
Eline2015 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:32 pm Hey guys. Did I correctly heard in you podcast, that Galante was member a Evola's decina?
If so, probably misspoke. I believe Evola and Galante were captains roughly at the same time. Nothing comes to mind that would place Galante with Evola.
Thanks for reply. Which crew do you think galante was from before he was promoted?
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Here’s a possible member: Giovanni B. DiBella

He was a partnered with Joe Bonanno and John V. DiBella, the Midwest based Bonanno member from Montelepre, in a Tucson, AZ real estate company.

He was the administrator for the estates of Vincenzo Troia and his son Joseph after their murder in Newark.