"Cumpari of the Tall One"?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Bing Bang 74
Straightened out

"Cumpari of the Tall One"?

Post by Bing Bang 74 »

Random question: is anyone able to decipher the meaning behind the nickname "Cumpari of the Tall One" For Baldassare Amato? It's mentioned as an alias for him in the 2014 Bonanno list (https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2018/06/bo ... -2014.html), but I can't possibly understand why they would call him that. I'd almost consider it a typing error. Only thing I could guess is "cumpari" probably comes from "compare" in Italian or the equivalent to "goombah".
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: "Cumpari of the Tall One"?

Post by Moscone65 »

He’s the cumpare of the tall one, Cesare bonventre.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Probably means, compare the tall one. And they added the of, cus if the of goes, then that makes no sense
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

First, it’s cumpare (singular), not cumpari. Second, in this case, it could mean friend or godfather of the tall one. In Italian it’s used to mean godfather too.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Lu/‘u cumpari (plural li/‘i cumpari ) is the Sicilian equivalent to “il compare” in Italian. As LarryC noted, the terms are literally used to refer to a baptismal godfather (though in Italian, this is formally “padrino”), though they are very often used colloquially to refer to a male friend. “Goomba” in the US is derived from the Napolitan’ pronunciation of the causal, shortened form “compà” (cumpà in Sicilianu).

The nickname was just referring to the fact that Baldo was close to Cesare Bonventre.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Bing Bang 74
Straightened out

Post by Bing Bang 74 »

I see, thank you for all your priceless insight, gentlemen.
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

What a wack nickname. I wonder if guys actually called him that.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Sometimes there’s a mistranslation as cumpari because some americans pronounce the letter e in Italian words as “ee”. In Italian they pronounce that sound with the letter I, the letter e in Italian is pronounced “eh”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Moscone65 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:34 am Sometimes there’s a mistranslation as cumpari because some americans pronounce the letter e in Italian words as “ee”. In Italian they pronounce that sound with the letter I, the letter e in Italian is pronounced “eh”
In Sicilianu it is spelled and pronounced “cumpari”. Not a mispronunciation or mistranslation in this case, as Sicilianu is not Italian.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:38 am Lu/‘u cumpari (plural li/‘i cumpari ) is the Sicilian equivalent to “il compare” in Italian. As LarryC noted, the terms are literally used to refer to a baptismal godfather (though in Italian, this is formally “padrino”), though they are very often used colloquially to refer to a male friend. “Goomba” in the US is derived from the Napolitan’ pronunciation of the causal, shortened form “compà” (cumpà in Sicilianu).

The nickname was just referring to the fact that Baldo was close to Cesare Bonventre.
This makes a lot of sense. I wonder how much clout these two had in the late 70s up to Bonventre’s death. Also, how did Baldo react to it
baldo
Straightened out

Post by baldo »

Also is used for the best man in a wedding. My parents often refer to their best man as that. But I also call my godfather that. 🤷
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

baldo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:11 am Also is used for the best man in a wedding. My parents often refer to their best man as that. But I also call my godfather that. 🤷

Yes, absolutely. Italian tradition is that the best man at your wedding is godfather to your first horn. So they are called the same.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Amato also called Sciascia his compare. Don't know if there was an actual baptismal relationship but they were extremely close.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Sciascia wasn’t exactly truthful at times when being interviewed by a Canadian consular official in NYC who was reviewing Sciascia’s request to relocate to Canada — screenshot below is from The Sixth Family, 3rd ed., 2014.

———-
I can’t remember whether "Tall Guy" was a media appellation for Bonventre. Regardless, it goes back to at least 1984, if not earlier — see, for example, https://content.time.com/time/subscribe ... 98,00.html.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ok so he did say there was a baptismal relationship. Thank you.

My comment was based on what Vitale said, that after Sciascia's murder Amato came to him crying and said "They killed my compare."

Interesting Sciascia claimed he knew the elder Amato in Sicily. Would mean Sciascia had contact with the Castellammaresi. Small island but those connections are always good to know.