Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Newyorkempire »

calabrianwatch wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:14 am No I don't think that's what she means, I think she means active criminally, also because she speaks about social mafia clubs or something. But anyway, I think it's also due to 'evidence'
So the entire framework as we know it has to be rethought according to her to encompass nostalgia and social ideaology.
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

pretty much :D
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

calabrianwatch wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:17 am The full quote is "The historical LCN family does not seem to be active or even connected to the identified criminal activities of other “Italian offenders” in the city." - so to me that means active in connection to criminal activies, but elsewhere she speaks a lot about Todaro, who clearly is in the picture as the supposed leader.
Haven't had time to read the whole article and digest, but can't help but wonder If "the identified criminal activities of other Italian offenders in the city" refers to Bongiovanni and Gerace and if this lends credence to the rumors that Gerace and his "faction" are at odds with Todaro and Todaro is not involved in this active criminality.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

she speaks about Bongiovanni and I would be inclined to say yes to your notation, but she doesn't mention rumours of Gerace.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

calabrianwatch wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:17 am The full quote is "The historical LCN family does not seem to be active or even connected to the identified criminal activities of other “Italian offenders” in the city." - so to me that means active in connection to criminal activies, but elsewhere she speaks a lot about Todaro, who clearly is in the picture as the supposed leader.
There's no contradiction here if the context is understood.

The "historical LCN family" (Buffalo) consists of less than a dozen members, most of whom are inactive. Todaro remains the recognized boss, though his day-to-day involvement is certainly questionable, given he's never been in cuffs. He'd probably be described as semi-active at best, spending most of his time with his legit business, but his nominal position gives him certain influence.

Todaro and Violi are similar in that their respective positions are largely the result of 1) their ancestry, and 2) there not being many other contenders. Much more so than the state of the formal organization they head. And automatically making a direct connection with criminal activity (drugs, murders, etc.) by "Italian offenders" (of various affiliations) on either side of the border has only helped to perpetuate the myth of a Buffalo LCN that still exists.

With Buffalo, there may be more parties involved given the "borderland" location, as Sergi puts it, but it's following rather closely what we've seen in other cities where the LCN family is gone but individuals (some with formal ranks) still remain and are involved, to one degree or another, in criminal activity.
All roads lead to New York.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

I agree Wiseguy and eventually also the paper looks at how these narratives are perpetuated by police but also among the groups when it speaks about survival skills and expected 'right ways'.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

I want to bring this into play now that we are seeing the hybrid model emerge more and more.

But first, again - We cant just assume that there is only 12 old timers (old timers have been proven to active regardless) and no making ceremonies took place for 30 years. That is the context that Wiseguy is trying to create based on ancient evidence and/or lack of evidence.

What right did a member like Joey Merlino have when he made himself? This was in fact how he was made am i correct?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:19 am I want to bring this into play now that we are seeing the hybrid model emerge more and more.

But first, again - We cant just assume that there is only 12 old timers (old timers have been proven to active regardless) and no making ceremonies took place for 30 years. That is the context that Wiseguy is trying to create based on ancient evidence and/or lack of evidence.

What right did a member like Joey Merlino have when he made himself? This was in fact how he was made am i correct?
Merlino was made by Stanfa.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Wiseguy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:27 am
Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:19 am I want to bring this into play now that we are seeing the hybrid model emerge more and more.

It was reported that they made each other in prison I thought?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:32 am

No, Merlino and Michael Ciancaglini were made in a ceremony by Stanfa not long after Merlino was released from prison in 1992.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Wiseguy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:38 am
Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:32 am

No, Merlino and Michael Ciancaglini were made in a ceremony by Stanfa not long after Merlino was released from prison in 1992.
Id have to see that evidence. Could have sworn I read they made each other in some article but anyways...

In making the case for a guy like Gerace, who was a top bosses grandson, Italian, engages in traditional organized rackets, uses motorcycle gangs as muscle, has many, many political and police connections, operates a crew in all reality, did his time and is at odds with the current "boss". Why should he not be considered mafia? What was the reason he wasnt made? Does it even matter? We go over Montreal all the time about their lack of making ceremonies why doesnt it apply here? They are still considered mafia though no? Same applies to a guy like Massechia who was under a made member for more than 20 years and engages in organized crime, etc. If they really wanted they could sit down and "make" themselves under the understanding they have a right to the network and to the existing model. That if we were still in the 70s, 80s, 90s, they would have been made, but that era has passed them by to the era we are in now where it is a hybrid and these guys fit perfect into that mold. Semi autonomous and connected to the old guard. Is being made important anymore to the extent we think it is? Or is the mere fact of the nostalgia and social aspects enough as Sergi writes?

If we are truly looking at the mafia in this region in this new hybrid way then it has to be at a macro level. Or you can simply say there is a lot of Italian gangsters in the region that have a right to use the brand because of their past family or friends and do so on varying levels.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

And in reality we can argue that Buffalo has always been a hybrid due to Canadian Calabrian/Sicilian crossovers. But if we want to say they werent up until a few years ago and they should be seen as a consistently structured la cosa nostra family, then for me anyways, I still hold out that they should be considered active/viable regardless of the age of law enforcement documented members, those members active status (we have no idea who is active and who is not) and that the liklihood there was making ceremonies between the years of '85 and '15 is high.
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

From the new Anna Sergi article:

J Violi didn't know if it was the Cuntreras through the Musitanos looking to get rid of someone in Toronto; the Agent asked J Violi who gave the Musitanos the okay to do the hit – J Violi felt it may have been Joe Todaro. The Agent did not think J Todaro would kill individuals that were “made” without getting permission from New York.15

D Violi said that he learned that New York has called Todaro to come and be a part of the commission.16

D Violi repeated that “he” (Joe Todaro) told D Violi to let “him” (Joe Todaro) tell “them” (the Uncles, Rocco and Natale Luppino). The Agent agreed; that if they (Uncles) had heard it from D Violi it would be the wrong way. D Violi stated that he had actually told “him” (Joe Todaro) that D Violi would not tell them; that then “he” (Joe Todaro) said it.17

D Violi stated that JoeTodaro was right; he should have been told that A Iavarone and A Caputo had been straightened out [allegedly in the Gambino family in California], because it was in Todaro's area.18

The PA asked asked who D Violi met in Florida … the Colombo? The Gambino? … D Violi stated no; that they were there, but that D Violi had not met them the right way; that that was why “he” (J Todaro) wanted D Violi to go to New York, to meet them the right way.1

---

Commission debate again?
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

nizarsoccer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:53 pm From the new Anna Sergi article:

J Violi didn't know if it was the Cuntreras through the Musitanos looking to get rid of someone in Toronto; the Agent asked J Violi who gave the Musitanos the okay to do the hit – J Violi felt it may have been Joe Todaro. The Agent did not think J Todaro would kill individuals that were “made” without getting permission from New York.15

D Violi said that he learned that New York has called Todaro to come and be a part of the commission.16

D Violi repeated that “he” (Joe Todaro) told D Violi to let “him” (Joe Todaro) tell “them” (the Uncles, Rocco and Natale Luppino). The Agent agreed; that if they (Uncles) had heard it from D Violi it would be the wrong way. D Violi stated that he had actually told “him” (Joe Todaro) that D Violi would not tell them; that then “he” (Joe Todaro) said it.17

D Violi stated that JoeTodaro was right; he should have been told that A Iavarone and A Caputo had been straightened out [allegedly in the Gambino family in California], because it was in Todaro's area.18

The PA asked asked who D Violi met in Florida … the Colombo? The Gambino? … D Violi stated no; that they were there, but that D Violi had not met them the right way; that that was why “he” (J Todaro) wanted D Violi to go to New York, to meet them the right way.1

---

Commission debate again?
Yuuuuuuup!!
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

BUFFALO NEWS TOP STORY

Trial date set for strip club owner, ex-DEA agent in organized crime case

A trial date for two key defendants in the federal government’s years-long investigation into Buffalo organized crime has been set for June 21.

See: https://buffalonews.com/news/local/tria ... -top-story