Gang Land Sep 8 2022

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

eboli
Full Patched

Re: Gang Land Sep 8 2022

Post by eboli »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:35 pm
eboli wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:01 pm I'm sure it wasn't as cut and dry, but the biggest opposition against Bellomo took place while he was still in the can and while Leo was still on the streets.
You're referring to Leo as Barneys biggest competition?
Leo was an unknown until his promo to acting, not a long term player at the top?

You had guys like Farby, Ernie, Quiet Dom, BENNY EGGS!
I'd find it a little stretch Leo had trumps on the above or Tino.

Love to hear your thoughts.
I might start a thread for a more detailed explanation, but the basic timeline is as follows:

June 1996 - Bellomo and the rest of the acting admin get indicted; Bellomo won't be a free man until December 2008 after multiple court trials
1996 - Chin creates a committee (ruling panel) with an acting boss to run the family; Dom Cirillo is the first in a series of acting bosses; Cirillo was a Chin loyalist
1998 - Cirillo steps down after suffering a heart attack; Frank Serpico, a Bellomo loyalist, takes over as the acting boss
2001 - Serpico got indicted and stepped down, died a year later in custody; Muscarella, a Bellomo loyalist, takes over as acting boss
2002 - Muscarella is demoted/stepped down after his incarceration; Arthur Nigro, a Bellomo loyalist, takes over as the acting boss
2003 - Nigro got demoted; Cirillo takes over again
2005 - the year of the three acting bosses: Cirillo, Ianniello, and Leo; the first two stepped down after facing criminal charges; Leo got promoted just before Chin passed away
2007 - Leo got indicted as the Genovese acting boss; suspicions he was on his way to becoming official before his incarceration
2007-2010 - different ruling/rotating panels with Dentico, Mangano, Fiumara, Bellomo, and Muscarella being IDd as sitting members

For half a decade between 1998 and 2003, Bellomo loyalists ran the day-to-day operations of the Genovese family. Other influential members, like Barbato, Mario Gigante, and Longo, sat on the committee, but the actual family head on the streets was always one of Bellomo's guys. Chin approved everything, of course. And Chin's brother Mario was AB for a limited time during all of this, but he was the outlier.

This deal between Bellomo and Chin likely caused friction within the family. In the Ardito-Peluso tapes, there was an in-depth discussion of how 'some guys' felt unhappy with the arrangement. Peter Peluso believed Barney was a marked man at that time if he found himself on the streets before Chin.

Then Nigro got demoted, and the Genovese had three bosses who were not Bellomo loyalists, all approved by Chin. The last one of them was Leo. Since he was the last guy appointed by Chin, and Bellomo was facing life in prison, the FBI had some info he might become official in the near future, which never materialized, but he stayed as the acting boss for 18 months after Chin passed away. After Leo's indictment, the family abandoned the committee+acting boss arrangement and established a ruling/rotating panel.

When Fiumara sat on it, he was in deep shit legally, and his health was declining. The other known members, like Dentico and Mangano, were ancient and likely semi-retired by that point. Other than them, you have Barney and Barney's guy Ernie Muscarella.

Since Bellomo took over as official boss, he's packed the administration with his friends and close associates. Petey Red was the only known 'outsider' if you can even call him that.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Peter Peluso the crooked lawyer? Or is there another one an actual member?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

eboli wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:23 am
eboli wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:01 pm I'm sure it wasn't as cut and dry, but the biggest opposition against Bellomo took place while he was still in the can and while Leo was still on the streets.
Leo was an unknown until his promo to acting, not a long term player at the top?

I might start a thread for a more detailed explanation, but the basic timeline is as follows:

June 1996 - Bellomo and the rest of the acting admin get indicted; Bellomo won't be a free man until December 2008 after multiple court trials
1996 - Chin creates a committee (ruling panel) with an acting boss to run the family; Dom Cirillo is the first in a series of acting bosses; Cirillo was a Chin loyalist
1998 - Cirillo steps down after suffering a heart attack; Frank Serpico, a Bellomo loyalist, takes over as the acting boss
2001 - Serpico got indicted and stepped down, died a year later in custody; Muscarella, a Bellomo loyalist, takes over as acting boss
2002 - Muscarella is demoted/stepped down after his incarceration; Arthur Nigro, a Bellomo loyalist, takes over as the acting boss
2005 - the year of the three acting bosses: Cirillo, Ianniello, and Leo; the first two stepped down after facing criminal charges; Leo got promoted just before Chin passed away
2007 - Leo got indicted as the Genovese acting boss; suspicions he was on his way to becoming official before his incarceration
2007-2010 - different ruling/rotating panels with Dentico, Mangano, Fiumara, Bellomo, and Muscarella being IDd as sitting members

For half a decade between 1998 and 2003, Bellomo loyalists ran the day-to-day operations of the Genovese family. Other influential members, like Barbato, Mario Gigante, and Longo, sat on the committee, but the actual family head on the streets was always one of Bellomo's guys. Chin approved everything, of course. And Chin's brother Mario was AB for a limited time during all of this, but he was the outlier.

This deal between Bellomo and Chin likely caused friction within the family. In the Ardito-Peluso tapes, there was an in-depth discussion of how 'some guys' felt unhappy with the arrangement. Peter Peluso believed Barney was a marked man at that time if he found himself on the streets before Chin.

Then Nigro got demoted, and the Genovese had three bosses who were not Bellomo loyalists, all approved by Chin. The last one of them was Leo. Since he was the last guy appointed by Chin, and Bellomo was facing life in prison, the FBI had some info he might become official in the near future, which never materialized, but he stayed as the acting boss for 18 months after Chin passed away. After Leo's indictment, the family abandoned the committee+acting boss arrangement and established a ruling/rotating panel.

When Fiumara sat on it, he was in deep shit legally, and his health was declining. The other known members, like Dentico and Mangano, were ancient and likely semi-retired by that point. Other than them, you have Barney and Barney's guy Ernie Muscarella.

Since Bellomo took over as official boss, he's packed the administration with his friends and close associates. Petey Red was the only known 'outsider' if you can even call him that.
This basically lines up with everything I've seen regarding the Genovese leadership succession over the past 25 years, aside from listing every name of anyone who's ever been on the ruling panel. Though I'd be very surprised if Leo was ever really in the running for official boss or that anyone would have ever attempted a move against Bellomo. Even when Chin was the boss and had the final word, it seems he recognized that crew/wing of the family was the strongest.
All roads lead to New York.
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

In one of the wiretaps in the Gambino Campos case, loose-lipped Vinnie Fiore was heard telling another guy, "I got it from very reliable sources, Ernie Muscarella is the official street boss now". That was probably 2-3 years ago.
I'm sure that didn't ring too well with any of the powers that be, on either side.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Bruno187 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:24 pm In one of the wiretaps in the Gambino Campos case, loose-lipped Vinnie Fiore was heard telling another guy, "I got it from very reliable sources, Ernie Muscarella is the official street boss now". That was probably 2-3 years ago.
I'm sure that didn't ring too well with any of the powers that be, on either side.
I believe he said Muscarella was the underboss. It was in 2019.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

eboli wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:23 am

Great fucking post dude. Credit to the board. Would love a thread on this. A lot of dynamics to discuss.
1. Interested in Mangano, no one really discusses his role post his release. It's an assumption of retirement. A good guess but unsubstantiated.
2. Dentico as well. Was he a Tino guy? Was there a Jersey faction under Tino (little guy, Bruchi, DeVito)?
3. Power dynamic between Muscarella and Barney. Ernie had senority, how did Barney surpass Ernie. Their history, etc.
4. How much of a family 'split' was there in the family over barney?
5. I'm with WG, I can't believe Leo was ever a serious contender, unless Barney gets life.

Great info dude. Good food for thought.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:10 pmGreat fucking post dude. Credit to the board. Would love a thread on this. A lot of dynamics to discuss.
1. Interested in Mangano, no one really discusses his role post his release. It's an assumption of retirement. A good guess but unsubstantiated.
2. Dentico as well. Was he a Tino guy? Was there a Jersey faction under Tino (little guy, Bruchi, DeVito)?
3. Power dynamic between Muscarella and Barney. Ernie had senority, how did Barney surpass Ernie. Their history, etc.
5. I'm with WG, I can't believe Leo was ever a serious contender, unless Barney gets life.

Eboli will have to weigh in but Dentico originally came from the Greenwich crew. He was with Cirillo and that side of the family. Only later does he pop up in New Jersey. Muscarella is older than Bellomo but I'm not sure that equates to him having more seniority in the family. I'm not sure when Muscarella was made. As for Mangano, a 2009 article mentioned he was on a rotating panel running the family.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:24 pm Eboli will have to weigh in but Dentico originally came from the Greenwich crew. He was with Cirillo and that side of the family. Only later does he pop up in New Jersey. Muscarella is older than Bellomo but I'm not sure that equates to him having more seniority in the family. I'm not sure when Muscarella was made. As for Mangano, a 2009 article mentioned he was on a rotating panel running the family.
1. Would be interested in a bio of Dentico. Do we have one?
2. Would also be interested in a bio on Ernie.
3. If Mangano was on a rotating in 09 he obviously wasn't retired post his 06 release. This is fascinating. He was the UB. He was next in line. Official since 87. He surely would be next in line, have senority over Liborio. What were the dynamics there...
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:25 pm3. If Mangano was on a rotating in 09 he obviously wasn't retired post his 06 release. This is fascinating. He was the UB. He was next in line. Official since 87. He surely would be next in line, have senority over Liborio. What were the dynamics there...
Him getting sentenced to 15 years in the windows case probably didn't help.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Tonyd621 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:33 am Peter Peluso the crooked lawyer? Or is there another one an actual member?
Yeah, it's the lawyer. He was supposed to be a key witness against Bellomo in one of the trials, but the idea didn't pan out for the feds.

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:10 pm Great fucking post dude. Credit to the board. Would love a thread on this. A lot of dynamics to discuss.

1. Mangano was 85 when he got out of prison in 2006. He had some serious health issues, too. It wasn't like Mario Gigante who was ancient but looked like a million bucks and had some vigor left in him. Mangano was in a wheelchair, half blind, deaf, etc. For the last few years of his life, he was like the guy with the bell from Breaking Bad.
2. Dentico was a member of Chin's crew, even though he was very active in Passaic, Bergen, Hudson, NJ. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, he was acting captain for Dom Canterino. After Canterino's death, Chin split the regime, and Dentico received a piece of it. He became a captain in his early 70s, so by the time his name popped up in the Genovese leadership reports, he was ancient, too. But at the same time, he didn't have a long leadership experience because he filled these roles when he was already an old man. When I say Dentico's ancient, just to put it into perspective - he was under Tony Strollo back in the day.
3. The power dynamic was that Muscarella was a loyal and capable soldier, and Bellomo was his superior despite being the younger man. The same goes for Serpico and Nigro. Bellomo was a protege of Chin, Sammy Black, and Fat Tony. He was on a whole different level from the very start.
4. I doubt many people know the extent of it. Peluso and Ardito might have blown it out of proportion, but there are facts that might point to a possible disdain towards Bellomo at the time from other members. Generally, the committee and acting boss consulted Chin and Bellomo for most decisions. And while Chin was the boss, Bellomo was just a captain barking orders to the acting boss and other high-ranking members from prison. An example: Ardito told Peluso to visit Bellomo and ask for his ruling on some petty shit, while Ardito himself was a captain.
5. At the time, Barney was staring at a life sentence. Only half a year later, it turned out that the feds overplayed their hand with the charges.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

eboli wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:59 pm
1. Mangano was 85 when he got out of prison in 2006. He had some serious health issues, too. It wasn't like Mario Gigante who was ancient but looked like a million bucks and had some vigor left in him. Mangano was in a wheelchair, half blind, deaf, etc. For the last few years of his life, he was like the guy with the bell from Breaking Bad.
2. Dentico was a member of Chin's crew, even though he was very active in Passaic, Bergen, Hudson, NJ. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, he was acting captain for Dom Canterino. After Canterino's death, Chin split the regime, and Dentico received a piece of it. He became a captain in his early 70s, so by the time his name popped up in the Genovese leadership reports, he was ancient, too. But at the same time, he didn't have a long leadership experience because he filled these roles when he was already an old man. When I say Dentico's ancient, just to put it into perspective - he was under Tony Strollo back in the day.
3. The power dynamic was that Muscarella was a loyal and capable soldier, and Bellomo was his superior despite being the younger man. The same goes for Serpico and Nigro. Bellomo was a protege of Chin, Sammy Black, and Fat Tony. He was on a whole different level from the very start.
4. I doubt many people know the extent of it. Peluso and Ardito might have blown it out of proportion, but there are facts that might point to a possible disdain towards Bellomo at the time from other members. Generally, the committee and acting boss consulted Chin and Bellomo for most decisions. And while Chin was the boss, Bellomo was just a captain barking orders to the acting boss and other high-ranking members from prison. An example: Ardito told Peluso to visit Bellomo and ask for his ruling on some petty shit, while Ardito himself was a captain.
5. At the time, Barney was staring at a life sentence. Only half a year later, it turned out that the feds overplayed their hand with the charges.
Outstanding. My thanks.

The little guy was under Strollo. WOW.

'Like the guy with the bell from Breaking Bad.'
BWAHAHAHAHAHA.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

So Peluso was Bellomos attorney. Was he the one who had insight about what happened to Ralph Coppola when he went missing? I remember Bellomo being charged with that. But I don't think it got the point in the courts when govt how to show what evidence they had. Idk
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:29 pm
Outstanding. My thanks.

The little guy was under Strollo. WOW.

'Like the guy with the bell from Breaking Bad.'
BWAHAHAHAHAHA.
And he's nearly 100. I imagine we'll see his obituary any day now.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Tonyd621 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:09 pm So Peluso was Bellomos attorney. Was he the one who had insight about what happened to Ralph Coppola when he went missing? I remember Bellomo being charged with that. But I don't think it got the point in the courts when govt how to show what evidence they had. Idk
Peluso wasn't Bellomo's lawyer, although he helped him when he faced some gun charges in the 70s. Peluso was a Genovese lawyer in general. In the 90s and early 00s, the organization used him as a messenger for imprisoned members. He was supposed to be a key witness linking Bellomo to Coppola's murder, but it fell through spectacularly.
Benandjosh
Associate

Post by Benandjosh »

She noted that his father Sylvester's mob handle stemmed from the illegal gambling business he ran and that he had to pay shadowy Bronx mobsters like Vincent Basciano, with the "colorful name, Vinny Gorgeous" to succeed.

So if this guy was an associate of Basciano, wonder who he kicked up to since Basciano went away.