Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Raven
Straightened out

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by Raven »

JoelTurner wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:07 am
Chris Christie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:49 am Anthony Scoma
Joseph John Zoppo
ANTHONY SCOMA
DOB: 29 Nov 1905
POB: Kingston, NY
F: Giuseppe Scoma
M: Carmela Cannariato
W: Filippa Noto

JOSEPH JOHN ZOPPO
DOB: 5 Nov 1908
POB: Newark, NJ
F: Salvatore Zoppo
M: Marie Cappetta
W: Geraldine Malanga

——————-

For both of them, I can’t tell what crew they’re in but they’re New Jersey members.

Coincidentally, they were both married to women with interesting family names. Filippa Noto was the sister of Genovese member Dr. Philip Noto; I can’t tell if Geraldine was related to the other Malangas in Newark but her family was from the same place: Caposele in Italy.
You sure Filippa Noto was Daniel Noto's sister? I found obits for Daniel Noto, his mother, his father, his other sister and no sister named Filippa Noto Scoma is mentioned in any. What's the source?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:43 pm Ah, looks like you solved the confusion over why Palermo member Pietro Sorce is included on Gambino lists. Different guy.
When it comes to these 63 charts I need to have info listed. Awhile back you mentioned listing the estimated family size, what else?

I'm thinking:
Design:
Information:
Photos:
-
Estimated Family size
Notes:
1 Parents' origins reflect where families came from and not where they themselves were born.
2 Addresses may be outdated
Anything else?
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

As far as design I'd stick to the original design i.e. the Valachi charts.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Raven wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:57 am
Joseph John Zoppo
ANTHONY SCOMA

JOSEPH JOHN ZOPPO

——————-

For both of them, I can’t tell what crew they’re in but they’re New Jersey members.

Coincidentally, they were both married to women with interesting family names. Filippa Noto was the sister of Genovese member Dr. Philip Noto; I can’t tell if Geraldine was related to the other Malangas in Newark but her family was from the same place: Caposele in Italy.
You sure Filippa Noto was Daniel Noto's sister? I found obits for Daniel Noto, his mother, his father, his other sister and no sister named Filippa Noto Scoma is mentioned in any. What's the source?
I got it from his family tree on FamilySearch. (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/LB14-JF2). It’s fairly developed so I assumed that it’s accurate, but it could be wrong.

Plus, Anthony Scoma and his wife attended Dr. Philip Noto’s engagement party. (https://www.newspapers.com/clip/8573967 ... incenzina/)
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:49 am William Malanga
WILLIAM MALANGA
DOB: 14 Jun 1909
F: Salvatore Malanga
M: Rose Nisivoccia
W: Lucille Coppola
Family from Caposele

His sister Grace was married to Antonio Paterno.

I think that his brother Alfred could have been a member, but that’s just speculation.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

A size count would be great for the chart.

Some thoughts on size while we're discussing it:

- I'm surprised 300+ names are already on the list. DiLeonardo had the cap at 260 through the late 1990s / early 2000s and I'm sure by then it was lower than it was in 1963 given a lot of people had been killed (murders remove those slots permanently) but 300+ members in the 1960s would mean not only were ~50 made members killed between 1960s-1990s (maybe there were, I have no idea), but you'd also have to add in the guys who were murdered and died of natural causes between 57-1963 when the books were closed since nobody was replaced between 57-76.

- We also have to consider that a number of made members were never identified or confirmed but were still living at this time, especially old guys, so they'd add to the total. Was the Family actually 350 members strong in 1957 when the books closed? Or did a bunch of unconfirmed guys sneak onto the chart like HK is concerned about?

- Pussy Russo was recorded saying the Genovese had 300 members in the early 1960s with 300 guys ready to replace them (obviously there weren't 300 proposed members, he was just referring to the replacement process). DiLeonardo said the Gambinos and Genovese had roughly the same cap size when he was around.

- I lean conservative with membership numbers, i.e. the biggest NYC Families were capped at 300 and smallest had caps around 150 opposed to the 450 estimates from guys like Valachi, but if this Gambino list does truly have 300+ members it calls my beliefs into question. Bonannos are the ones with the most variation, with Joe and Bill saying 300, Ray Patriarca saying 200-400, but others putting them between 180-200 for this period. They had 150-160 under Massino.

Not looking to complicate things, just wondering what to make of it since it sounds like there are way more people on the list than expected.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

^^^ if the Family was way over the 300 mark in 1957, it may also lend itself to the rumors of Anastasia bringing in a lot of guys without following proper protocol. I've talked about how the "buying buttons" rumor appears to be a figurative interpretation of "earners" getting made based on how Valachi described it in his Senate testimony (they were made for being business partners of Scalise, not giving him cash for the button), but there are still a lot of f'n rumors about the Gambinos bloating up their Family in the 1950s and it causing major controversy. Maybe Anastasia did exceed the cap, as we know from Sal Vitale there was concern over Families doing this in the 1990s.

We also don't know exactly when the caps were established.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

JoelTurner wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:12 pm
Raven wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:57 am
Joseph John Zoppo
ANTHONY SCOMA

JOSEPH JOHN ZOPPO

——————-

I got it from his family tree on FamilySearch. (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/LB14-JF2). It’s fairly developed so I assumed that it’s accurate, but it could be wrong.

Plus, Anthony Scoma and his wife attended Dr. Philip Noto’s engagement party. (https://www.newspapers.com/clip/8573967 ... incenzina/)
Are we looking at the same tree? That tree has two sources connected to her (added by two different people). One is the 1940 census where she is already married to Anthony Scoma and the other is a death records that says her mother's maiden name was Compagno. Daniel and Philip's mothers maiden name was Cannariato. Maybe she was related but nothing points to her being their sister. Daniel & Philip's names were both americanized from Damiano & Filippo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Just found this.

If I'm reading this correctly Filippa did'nt come to the US until 1935. A Filippo Noto is listed as her brother (who still was residing in Palermo). It looks like Anthony Scoma must have gone to Naples, married her and brought her back. The Genovese member Filippo (Philip) Noto came here in 1929, according to his obit, so the Filippo Noto she has listed as her brother in Palermo must be a different man. Confusing I know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:05 pm A size count would be great for the chart.

Some thoughts on size while we're discussing it:

- I'm surprised 300+ names are already on the list. DiLeonardo had the cap at 260 through the late 1990s / early 2000s and I'm sure by then it was lower than it was in 1963 given a lot of people had been killed (murders remove those slots permanently) but 300+ members in the 1960s would mean not only were ~50 made members killed between 1960s-1990s (maybe there were, I have no idea), but you'd also have to add in the guys who were murdered and died of natural causes between 57-1963 when the books were closed since nobody was replaced between 57-76.

- We also have to consider that a number of made members were never identified or confirmed but were still living at this time, especially old guys, so they'd add to the total. Was the Family actually 350 members strong in 1957 when the books closed? Or did a bunch of unconfirmed guys sneak onto the chart like HK is concerned about?

- Pussy Russo was recorded saying the Genovese had 300 members in the early 1960s with 300 guys ready to replace them (obviously there weren't 300 proposed members, he was just referring to the replacement process). DiLeonardo said the Gambinos and Genovese had roughly the same cap size when he was around.

- I lean conservative with membership numbers, i.e. the biggest NYC Families were capped at 300 and smallest had caps around 150 opposed to the 450 estimates from guys like Valachi, but if this Gambino list does truly have 300+ members it calls my beliefs into question. Bonannos are the ones with the most variation, with Joe and Bill saying 300, Ray Patriarca saying 200-400, but others putting them between 180-200 for this period. They had 150-160 under Massino.

Not looking to complicate things, just wondering what to make of it since it sounds like there are way more people on the list than expected.
LOL, now you have me intrigued how many members were murdered/flipped from 1963 until 2002 when Michael gave the 260 estimates. Of course one big unknown is when those caps were put in place, making new members at Christmas and other nuances. It would have a margin of error but still interesting.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Having difficulty finding Jerome Fred D'Aquila's wife and occupation. Ended up finding a Fortunato "Fred" D'Aquila in Chicago but there's no relation.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Early pic of Luigi Morici, deceased Baltimore Capodecina.
47293_302022005448_1908-00822.jpg
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Raven wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:42 pm Just found this.
A Filippo Noto is listed as her brother (who still was residing in Palermo). The Genovese member Filippo (Philip) Noto came here in 1929, according to his obit, so the Filippo Noto she has listed as her brother in Palermo must be a different man. Confusing I know.
Looking at all this, I don’t think that she was their sister. I think the source of my confusion was the fact that she had a brother also named Filippo. The obituaries that you shared sealed the deal.

Also, I was seeing her listed as a sister under the parents/siblings section but that’s probably wrong.

They could have been indirectly related; or at least, they knew each other because the Scomas attended Dr. Noto’s engagement.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:34 am Early pic of Luigi Morici, deceased Baltimore Capodecina.
47293_302022005448_1908-00822.jpg
Awesome find. A Palermitano sailing from England. Wonder if he visited the mafia colony there that was connected to Lupo and the Motisis.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Looking up Antonino Rizzo, Palermo born, few things
1 His mother was a Virga, Palermo mafia name.
2 His daughter married a Gullo, common mafia Nola name.
3 JD's pic of "Anthony Rizzo" doesn't match the one born 1887-1962. He had a son- 1915-1972 could both have been members?
rizzo2.PNG
rizzo1.PNG