Girolamo Guarraggi

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Girolamo Guarraggi

Post by B. »

Trenton-based DeCavalcante member Girolamo Guarraggi died in 2021:

https://knottscolonialfuneralhome.com/t ... tuary.html

- I've mentioned before he was one of the DeCavalcante members with social ties to the Montreal Bonannos, but the obit says he actually lived in Canada between 1965-1971. His brother still lives in Toronto and a sister-in-law lives in Montreal -- it doesn't mention it here, but the sis-in-law's maiden name is Sciara like the old Montreal figure Pietro Sciara. Her second son is named Pietro, which if they followed traditional Sicilian custom would mean her father was named Pietro Sciara. Would be big if we can confirm Girolamo Guarraggi's sister-in-law was the daughter of Pietro Sciara the mafioso.

- Interesting his other brother lives in Delaware. Could be random, but DeCavalcante captain Joe Lolordo's cousin Calogero "Leo" Cucuzzella lived in Delaware and was involved in gambling there -- Leo was the son of Nino Cucuzzella who accompanied Nick Gentile to Quebec in the late 1910s. The Cucuzzellas and Lolordos had relatives in Montreal. Just interesting more than one DeCavalcante-linked Riberese lived in Delaware with relatives in Canada.

- Worked for the Board of Education and Local 394, member of the Ribera club, active in his community. Typical NJ Riberese member.

--

Joe Gatto's obituary from 2020:

https://www.chubenkofh.com/obituary/francesco-gatto

- Stopped working for Local 394 around 1995. Did that coincide with any LE pressure on the Local?
- Often visited Sicily where he had a farm.

This part is great:
He was a member of the Ribera Club in Elizabeth and was a man of great respect and honor within his community and among friends.
Reminds me of Andy Gerardo's obit:
... dearly beloved by a special group of men who were the most loyal of friends.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Girolamo Guarraggi

Post by B. »

Member Carl Corsentino was the Vice President of the Board of Education that Guarraggi worked for:

^^^ I think the Vincenzo Lolordo mentioned is the son of Chicago boss Pasquale Lolordo. His first cousin (son of DeCav captain Joe) was also named Vincenzo but Pasquale's son lived in NYC then went to college in Chicago so might be him.

Ribera info:

- Crispi was a powerful politician who came from Ribera and helped Garibaldi with the 1848 Revolution (known for its mafia links). Interesting he might have encouraged Riberesi to form international colonies.

Ribera Club history:

^ Some of the above names could be early DeCavalcante members. We know Amari, but the Merlos listed are the immediate ancestors of the future members and Gioacchino Spinelli previously lived in Russellville, Alabama along with the Birmingham Family Riberesi. Spinelli's son-in-law was DeCav member Joe Cocchiaro. LoBrutto is a name related to Louis LaRasso.

Where to begin? Most of these names are members and it confirms the Chicago Family Riberesi were involved with the Elizabeth Ribera Club.

- Amari, Colletti, Caterinicchio, Riggi, and "Maggiori" (Majuri) were NJ members.

- All three NY names were made members. Giacobbe was the father of member Joe Giacobbe and Rotondo said Lorenzo was a captain.

- "Nick Del Mo" is Nick Delmore. The other two names on his committee were also members, Joe Sferra obviously and then Emanuele Sortino was made in Ribera and lived in NJ but never transferred.

- At least two of the Chicago names were made members there (Bacino and DiGiorgio). Interesting they were involved in this with ex-Chicago Joe LoLordo.

- So everyone except Coniglio, Renda, Carlino, and Matina in NJ and Nicola Diana in Chicago is a confirmed member. Given how many members were involved in this committee and what we know about the mafia's involvement with the orphanage I'd consider all of these obscure names possible members. The Majuris would later intermarry with Rendas and there were Carlinos from Agrigento in the Pueblo and Bonanno Families.

- Diana was born in 1891 and did live in Chicago but I haven't done a deep dive. That's an intriguing new name.

- The "current" committee at the bottom is circa 1975 and six of the names are confirmed members.

- This is the club leadership circa 1975, not to be confused with the orphanage committee.

- Club president Pietro Guarraci was the father of future acting boss Frank.

- Jake Miceli wasn't a member but Felice ID'd his cousin Alfonso Miceli as a made member in Ribera.

- Giuseppe Colletti is probably the future member, son of Giacomo. Giuseppe Merlo is probably Joe Sr. and "Salvatore Timba" might be member Salvatore Timpani as there are some misspellings.

- Ribera Club founding president Paolo Sgro (b. ~1881/1882) is listed on immigration documents as a cousin of the Truncales (Phil Amari's mother's name) and Caterinicchias. Between 1904-1913 at least he lived on Elizabeth Street in Manhattan.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Guarraggi might be the best candidate for the unidentified member Jerry aka "Dracula" unless there's info that disqualifies him.

From JD's old post:
Jerry 'Dracula' LNU

- Member of DeCavalcante Family. Father and brothers 'work for the Bonanno family' in Montreal. Possibly still alive at time of big indictment.
- Girolamo Guarraggi went by "Gerry/Jerry".

- His brother Gerlando Guarraggi lived in Montreal and married a Sciara, possibly the daughter of Pietro Sciara.

- Another brother lives in Toronto.

- Girolamo had social ties to Bonanno figures in Montreal.

- Father was Pasquale Guarraggi. Can't verify if he lived in Canada.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Great stuff B., if it's really him, that's a hell of a find
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:10 am - Diana was born in 1891 and did live in Chicago but I haven't done a deep dive. That's an intriguing new name.
From what I can see, Diana may just have been a Riberese civilian. His brothers Giovanni and Giuseppe also settled in Chicago, but I don’t see any of them ever mentioned in connection to mafia-type activities, and Nicola doesn’t seem to have been as well off as Bacino and DeGeorge. He was born in 1891 in Ribera and arrived in NYC bound for Chicago, where Giovanni was already living. In 1917, he was living in Joliet and working as a laborer. He joined the army infantry during WW1 and in 1918 was stationed in Macon, GA, where he filed his petition for US citizenship. In 1921, he married Maria Scafidi of Altavilla Milicia in Chicago. In 1930, they lived in Cicero, while in the 1940s they lived in Logan Square on the NW Side; Nicola worked as a door-to-door dry good salesman at the time. He died in 1958 in Maricopa, AZ. His son Vincent Diana, who also married a Scafidi woman who arrived from Palermo, moved to Phoenix as well.

Though there were a number of Riberesi in Chicago, I’m not aware that they ever formed a paesani/religious society or club. There were like 100 other Sicilian societies, but maybe the Riberesi in Chicago aligned themselves with the Societies for Sambuca or Burgio, both of which remain active today.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:02 pm From what I can see, Diana may just have been a Riberese civilian.
That's what so hard about these guys from Ribera -- even the mafiosi just seem like ordinary working men and in turn the ordinary working men seem like mafiosi, haha. Thanks for finding more details about him, going to file his name away and see if it shows up again.
Emanuele Sortino was made in Ribera and lived in NJ but never transferred.
Also, confused Emanuele with Gennaro Sortino when I posted this. Gennaro was made in Ribera and became a high-ranking member there. His son Emanuele's status I'm not sure about, he might be made in Ribera now, but Gennaro was still in his 20s so his son couldn't be the Emanuele on this committee in 1947. Could be Gennaro's father or another relative.

--

Guarraggi's funeral service was broadcast online and I threw it on in the background:

- His brother from Toronto said: "He would meet someone from Italy and be able to tell them who their relatives were."

- Guarraggi loved to boast that Sonny Bono's family was from Ribera and Sonny's uncle was someone named Paolo Bono. His brother didn't even know if it was true that the Bonos were from Ribera but Girolamo brought it up so much his family turned it into a joke where every time he tried to talk to somebody about their Italian background his family would say "Are they the nephew of Paolo Bono too?"

- Spoke in Sicilian proverbs often, especially those used by "ancestors".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

B. wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:38 am Guarraggi might be the best candidate for the unidentified member Jerry aka "Dracula" unless there's info that disqualifies him.

From JD's old post:
Jerry 'Dracula' LNU

- Member of DeCavalcante Family. Father and brothers 'work for the Bonanno family' in Montreal. Possibly still alive at time of big indictment.
- Girolamo Guarraggi went by "Gerry/Jerry".

- His brother Gerlando Guarraggi lived in Montreal and married a Sciara, possibly the daughter of Pietro Sciara.

- Another brother lives in Toronto.

- Girolamo had social ties to Bonanno figures in Montreal.

- Father was Pasquale Guarraggi. Can't verify if he lived in Canada.
Here is his Montreal brother's obit:

https://necrocanada.com/obituaries-2018 ... 1946-2018/

- First son listed is Pasquale, named for Guarraggi's father. Second son listed is Pietro, so very likely his father-in-law was named Pietro Sciara.

- When Felice first posted the info about Jerry aka "Dracula" many years ago on RD his info said Jerry's brothers were "members" of the "Falcone Family of Canada" which was hard to make sense of. JD's info is more general, with the brothers/father "working for" the Bonannos in Montreal.

^ While I think there might be a couple surprises if we ever find out who all was made in Montreal, JD's info doesn't say they were members and no Guarraggis have ever been floated as Montreal Bonanno members. Given how many DeCavalcante members had close relatives in the Ribera Family it's also possible Jerry's Montreal relatives were made in Ribera and lived in Canada as part of the Sicilian mafia faction that was "on record" with the Bonannos. We know from the recent Dimino investigation the Ribera Family is currently doing business in Canada with the Cattolica Eraclea guys.

Too many ifs, but I think we've found some substance to these connections.

--

Another DeCavalcante-connected guy from Ribera whose Canadian ties are of interest:
Nicolò Amari (b.1954, from Ribera) - He apparently answered to Steve Raffa. He was with another man undefined who according to Polizzi had the heroin importation exclusive in Canada.
- Sounds like Amari was associated with Tampa but obviously known to the DeCavalcante sources (Raffa was very close to the DeCavs) but his alleged Canadian heroin connections point to another Ribera->Montreal connection.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Okay more substance. From an old post by Antimafia:
Charged with being found in a common gaming house and being found in a common betting house are Peter Scarcella, 41, of Misty Meadow Dr., Woodbridge; Enio Mora, 42, of Northpark Dr., Toronto; Giacinto Arcuri, 61, of Reiner Rd., Toronto; and Antonino Cammalleri, 62, of Hartley Ave., Toronto.

Source: Police arrest 41 in big-money gambling raid:[SA2 Edition]. Peter Edwards. Toronto Star. Toronto, Ont.: Dec 14, 1991. p. A23

A week later, an update on the story was published. From the article:

Charged with being found in a common betting house and being found in a common gaming house are: Biagio Guarraggi, 38, of Ennerdale Rd., Salvatore Crimi, 44, of Lansdowne Ave., Visanto Mastrianni, 37, of Times Rd., Salvatore Villa, 47, of Roundtree Dr. in Rexdale, Umberto Campagna, 50, of Dynevor Rd., Mark Vitale, 50, of Newport Sq. in Thornhill, Massemo Santobuono, 27, of Lauder Ave., Nick Galifi, 56, of Kingdom St., Antonio Carullo, 41, of Valleyway Cres. in Maple, Corrado Gambon, 44, of Davenport Rd., Frank Vocaturo, 38, of Oakwood Ave., Carlo Rizzuto, 42, of Joan Dr. in Mississauga, and Giuseppe Andriano, 43, of Ramsden Rd.
^^^ The Biagio Guarraggi arrested for organized gambling in Toronto in 1991 is DeCav member Gerry Guarraggi's brother and this definitively links him to illegal activity with prominent Sicilian / Bonanno mafia figures in Ontario. Scarcella, Arcuri, and Cammalleri -- speaks for itself.

Antimafia also said the Andriano name is connected to the leadership of the Siderno clan.

- The Guarraggis are also close to the Montreal Borsellinos from Cattolica Eraclea. Possible relatives of Montreal construction contractor Giuseppe Borsellino from Cattolica who associated with the local mafia.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Jerry 'Dracula' LNU

- A Pasquale Guarraggi was born in 1920 and died in the US in 1991. No indication where he lived but it's not a common name and his age would fit the births of the Guarraggi brothers.

- Given Gerry lived in Canada as a young man initially and two of his brothers remained in Canada, if the above Pasquale Guarraggi is their father it's possible he initially lived in Canada and moved to the US later like two of his sons.

- With one son being made into the DeCavalcantes in Trenton and the other two being linked with the mafia in Canada, all of them born in Ribera and coming to North America later, it suggests the Guarraggis had existing ties to the mafia in Ribera that facilitated these relationships to Agrigentini mafiosi in different geographic areas.
nash143
Straightened out

Post by nash143 »

Amazing stuff. Love reading about the DeCavs.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'm hoping this helps connect some dots down the road. There's still the mysterious rug smuggling plot between the DeCavalcantes and Montreal Bonannos but I don't think anything has surfaced publicly about who was involved on the DeCavalcante end.
baldo
Straightened out

Post by baldo »

Any idea what Guarraggi’s rackets were?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Possibly none, at least in the way we perceive it. He no doubt got preferential treatment when he worked for Local 394 like the other members but he doesn't seem to have held a leadership position with the Local so not sure he could be directly linked to labor corruption.

The DeCavalcantes had a presence in Trenton going back to the 1920s and were involved historically in gambling and bootlegging there but no idea if they had any Trenton activity when Guarraggi lived there.

His brother getting busted for gambling with the Montreal-linked Ontario faction could lend itself to something with Girolamo but I haven't seen anything.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Okay. So I have some good news. I had some bad news but then I had good news again.

The good news:

1. The deceased Girolamo Guarraggi's parents lived in Montreal or the surrounding area for a period of time, longer in Mattia Di Giovanni's case, as she outlived husband Pasquale by 27 years. Both parents, along with Girolamo's brother Gerlando, are all interred at Le repos Saint-François d’Assise cemetery in Montreal -- I checked the cemetery entries; please let me know whether you want screenshots of these.

DOBs/YOBs and DODs/YODs for Girolamo's parents and brother:

Pasquale Guarraggi: 1920 to 1991 (I hadn't checked the exact DOB and DOD on Ancestry yet but I'm sure B. has these)
Mattia Di Giovanni Guarraggi: November 24, 1924 to December 13, 2018 (http://www.complexeloreto.com/en/obitua ... guarraggi/) <-----(the Loreto is owned by the Rizzuto-Renda clan, with directors periodically rotating; longtime principal and part-owner Freddy Ruscitti retired a number of years ago)
Gerlando Guarraggi: 1946 to 2018 per the obituary link B. posted upthread (funeral-home visitation at the Magnus Poirier location on Pie-IX in Montreal)

As an aside, in 2018, Mattia's funeral took place on December 17 and son Gerlando's on December 20. Given the December 18 date Gerlando's obit was posted, he might have died the day after his mother's funeral, maybe even the same day. Their funeral-home visitations were at different chapels, the funeral Masses were at the same church in Montreal, and the funeral services were at the same cemetery.

2. Girolamo's still-alive sister-in-law Maria Sciara Guarraggi, who is married to Gerlando, is indeed the daughter of the Pietro Sciara who was killed in Montreal on Feb. 14, 1976. She is one of five children born to Sciara and Rosalia Triassi, who was injured but survived when Sciara was gunned down. The most important piece of information that helped confirm the biological relationship -- and I never expected this type of item to be definitive -- will be found at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1032524 ... ia-sciara/.

The following part of Gerlando's obituary that B. posted was the most helpful for me in determining who else rounds out Sciara's family, as I already knew that Sciara's wife bore him four daughters, with Eleonora being the oldest and married to a Giovanni Scalia (who died in Montreal in 2017 and had his funeral-home visitation at the Loreto): "sisters-in-law Eleonora, Antonina (Pietro), Caterina (Pasquale) and Giuseppina, his brother-in-law Pasquale (Lina)". (I did not know that Sciara and Triassi had a son.)

Sciara's cemetery entry lists Rosalia as his wife but not that her grave is in the same concession at the Notre-Dame-des-Neiges cemetery in Montreal. His age was cited as 60 in newspaper articles written about his murder, and †Pierre de Champlain provided this age in a number of his books. Kristian Gravenor, the Montreal blogger and occasional chronicler of organized crime in Quebec (see coolopolis.blogspot.com), lists in one blog post an age of 59 for Sciara at the time of murder, but I don't know Gravenor's source. Rosalia's age was listed in newspaper articles as either 53 or 54, with the latter appearing more often.

While now there are various accounts of when the Siculiana-born Sciara moved to Cattolica Eraclea (CE) to live, what is relatively certain is that he and his wife, along with some their children, lived in CE and that some of his and Rosalia's children married individuals with ancestry from CE whose surnames are associated with mafia activity in that town and outside of it, including in Canada and the US. I haven't yet established whether Sciara's wife was born in Siculiana, CE, or elsewhere. It should be noted that last century, intermarriage between men and women of different comuni in Sicily was not unheard of, especially when photos became more readily available and affordable to the working poor: a man and woman often got married based on whether they liked the photo of the other person that had been exchanged. This photo exchange was also practised in the diaspora, and it could be the case that the woman was still in Italy, while the man was abroad.

In the early 1970s, law enforcement in Quebec was already aware of the networks that were formed by Sicilian men of honour in the province who descended from different comuni in Sicily. Ribera, Montallegro, Siculiana, CE, and even Palma di Montechiaro were mentioned by the authorities. In Canada, both Nick Rizzuto Sr. and Alfonso Caruana saw their criminal and financial acumen grow under the tutelage of a Sicilian man of honour in Montreal who arrived in the country before they did -- and this man was neither from CE, nor Siculiana, nor Castelvetrano.

Pierre de Champlain has written that Sciara was a made member of the Siculiana Family who fled to Canada to avoid Italian authorities who were searching for him so as to put him in prison and have him undergo the harshest possible conditions again. In Canada, over a 10-year period from 1966 to 1976, Sciara faced three deportation orders -- he was previously forced to leave Canada in 1966 and 1970, and he had appealed the third deportation order some time before he was murdered. His immigration matter was well known in Canadian legal circles, as was that of Vincenzo Prata of Toronto.

Nick Gentile's time in CE from 1962 to 1964 is quite interesting -- he didn't just hide out there -- and the substantial documentation about what he did while in CE has already been provided by other researchers; so I can't really add anything new to the subject except to speculate he might have crossed paths with both Sciara and Nino Manno in CE.

estimated YOBs for Sciara and his wife, as well as DOD for Sciara:
Pietro Sciara: 1915 to February 14, 1976
Rosalia Triassi: 1921 to ?

Search tips for those looking to flesh out the Sciara family tree more or to find additional details about individual members:
- Use both Sciara and Sciarra in your search terms
- Do not be misled by the January 13, 1896 DOB for Sciara that is stated in the Sentenza Caruana Cuntrera PDF floating around online
- Do not use any of the following supposed first names for Rosalia that are found in both English and French articles in which Sciara's wife is mentioned in relation to his murder: Tissa, Trissa, Triasse
- Do not confuse the online obituary for a Montreal woman named Rosalia La Para (née Triassi) for the obituary for Sciara's wife -- the two women are very likely related but are not the same person
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Incredible work. Way beyond anything I hoped to find.
2. Girolamo's still-alive sister-in-law Maria Sciara Guarraggi, who is married to Gerlando, is indeed the daughter of the Pietro Sciara who was killed in Montreal on Feb. 14, 1976. She is one of five children born to Sciara and Rosalia Triassi, who was injured but survived when Sciara was gunned down. The most important piece of information that helped confirm the biological relationship -- and I never expected this type of item to be definitive -- will be found at https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1032524 ... ia-sciara/.
Had no idea a daughter was injured in the shooting, much less this one.
While now there are various accounts of when the Siculiana-born Sciara moved to Cattolica Eraclea (CE) to live, what is relatively certain is that he and his wife, along with some their children, lived in CE and that some of his and Rosalia's children married individuals with ancestry from CE whose surnames are associated with mafia activity in that town and outside of it, including in Canada and the US. I haven't yet established whether Sciara's wife was born in Siculiana, CE, or elsewhere. It should be noted that last century, intermarriage between men and women of different comuni in Sicily was not unheard of, especially when photos became more readily available and affordable to the working poor: a man and woman often got married based on whether they liked the photo of the other person that had been exchanged. This photo exchange was also practised in the diaspora, and it could be the case that the woman was still in Italy, while the man was abroad.
Educational about the photos, great to know that. From what I've found there was more intermarriage between different villages in that part of Agrigento than elsewhere in Western Sicily. Nick Gentile's account shows mafiosi from those villages all saw each other as compaesani. The mafia connection gave even more incentive to intermarry.
Pierre de Champlain has written that Sciara was a made member of the Siculiana Family who fled to Canada to avoid Italian authorities who were searching for him so as to put him in prison and have him undergo the harshest possible conditions again.
Do you think he's one of the members who transferred? Violi was recorded talking about the process for a Sicilian member to transfer to the Bonanno Family in Canada and we know Sciara was a close ally of Violi when he was killed.