Paul Castellano

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Paul Castellano

Post by AlexfromSouth »

Does anybody know where Paul Castallano's familly was from in Sicily?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

AlexfromSouth wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:18 pm Does anybody know where Paul Castallano's familly was from in Sicily?
Wouldn’t they be from same place as Carlo Gambino’s family? I think it’s Passo di Rigano but don’t hold me to it.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:22 pm
AlexfromSouth wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:18 pm Does anybody know where Paul Castallano's familly was from in Sicily?
Wouldn’t they be from same place as Carlo Gambino’s family? I think it’s Passo di Rigano but don’t hold me to it.
I think Carlo was from Caccamo. Yes u may be right about Paul's fam being from Passo di Rigano
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

Any info on Castellano's reputation in the 50s/60s?
In the movie "Boss of Bosses" he was depicted having nightmares about watching a torturing with Vito Genovese there.... was Genovese supposed to be a stand-in for Anastasia? Is there any indication of Castellano making his bones?
"I was a venture capitalist"
TSNYC
Straightened out

Post by TSNYC »

Don_Peppino wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:27 pm Any info on Castellano's reputation in the 50s/60s?
In the movie "Boss of Bosses" he was depicted having nightmares about watching a torturing with Vito Genovese there.... was Genovese supposed to be a stand-in for Anastasia? Is there any indication of Castellano making his bones?
Some of these depictions couldn’t be sillier. Even in one of the movies, they made it seem like he was obese and couldn’t move. He probably could have lost some pounds but he wasn’t really a fat slob guy.

He had to have been one of the more diversified racketeers even before he was a boss, had meat rackets, had huge loan sharking operation (went to trial on federal racketeering loan sharking case in mid 70s and walked after the main witness refused to testify against him), took over a huge cement company, and god knows what else he had his hooks in.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 am
TSNYC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:19 am
JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:18 pm Did gambino live in east harlem too?? Maybe before living in little Italy I’d guess?
I’ve never seen any indication of Gambino living in Little Italy (the one in downtown manhattan). One thing to note from old nyc articles on Italian community is that the first reported “Little Italy” (say, in a nytimes archive search) was Italian Harlem, and then there were multiple so called Little Italies, before the touristy geared singular downtown little Italy.
I thought he lived on mott street where it was all gold and marble on the inside

I might have this wrong…

i thought carlo lived in gravesend on ocean pkway w summer place in massepeua park. IM sure he had a dozen apt's throughtout the city that he had access to in case of emergency. on another note, how high do you think his political influence went? Thanks
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

AlexfromSouth wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:27 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:22 pm
I think Carlo was from Caccamo. Yes u may be right about Paul's fam being from Passo di Rigano
Carlo was born 1902/09/01 in Ufficio 2, which I believe was in the old city center of Palermo, to Tommaso Gambino and Felicia Castellano. Not sure exactly where they were living at the time, but I believe that Tommaso Gambino was from Resuttana.

CornerBoy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:50 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 am
TSNYC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:19 am
JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:18 pm Did gambino live in east harlem too?? Maybe before living in little Italy I’d guess?
I’ve never seen any indication of Gambino living in Little Italy (the one in downtown manhattan). One thing to note from old nyc articles on Italian community is that the first reported “Little Italy” (say, in a nytimes archive search) was Italian Harlem, and then there were multiple so called Little Italies, before the touristy geared singular downtown little Italy.
I thought he lived on mott street where it was all gold and marble on the inside

I might have this wrong…
i thought carlo lived in gravesend on ocean pkway w summer place in massepeua park.
In 1930, Carlo and wife Kathryn Castellano lived at 182 and Crotona in Belmont in the Bx, which at that time was mixed Jewish/Italian (their neighbor in the next apartment was a John Liquori — would be a real trip if he turned out to be related to the Liquori today in CT).

By 1940 they had moved to 2230 Ocean Pkwy, between Ave V and Neck Rd (again, mixed Jewish/Italian).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:57 pm Carlo was born 1902/09/01 in Ufficio 2, which I believe was in the old city center of Palermo, to Tommaso Gambino and Felicia Castellano.
Is it true those two were first cousins, and then Carlo married his own first cousin, also a Castellano? :|
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

It's true
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Anyone know when Carlo was made?
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:58 pm Anyone know when Carlo was made?
My guess would be the late 1920s
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

In the Real Thing Valachi says Maranzano told him Paolo wasn't a member yet after the attempted hit during the war. Would guess he was made by the end of the war or shortly after since the Bonanno/Lucchese and Genovese had ceremonies.

Valachi said Carlo was "one of the bosses" when Paolo was shot which isn't true as he replaced Giuseppe Castellano as captain much later.

If he wasn't made very young in Sicily (19 at arrival, not impossible) I'd say late 20s might be right. Valachi thought the books had been closed for 20 years before the Castellammarese War (might explain Bonanno's ~1929 induction) which can't be right but maybe they closed the books during/after the Morello war and the formation of the two new Families then reopened them around 1928/1929. Could explain Capone having to wait too since he belonged to NYC.

This might also explain Masseria "sneaking in" members. Maybe the books were closed but he was bringing in people on his own.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

B. - what is that book "the real thing?
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

CornerBoy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:11 am B. - what is that book "the real thing?
its like the Valachi papers part 2
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

thanks, cheech! same format and w Maas? Thanks