Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

NickleCity
Full Patched

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by NickleCity »

In this video from July 2021, Lee Coppola still thinks it is a ridiculous notion that the Buffalo mob exists. And at 42 minute in he talks about his “close family relation who was inside the Buffalo mafia,” and protected him. https://youtu.be/rQd_MfsCPlI
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Two part podcast by Morgan Wrighr & Steve Murphy with guest Stephen Metelsky. They discuss oganized crime in Canada and the Violi investigation, Project O'Tremens.
https://twitter.com/GameOfCrimes/status ... M_Uzw&s=19

Part 1 was mostly about Stephen's story of becoming a police officer, his earlier years as a cop, and a bunch of corny Canadian jokes. Part 2 is where they really start talking about Project O'Tremens and the police agent.

They mostly discussed stuff that has already been known by us. But a few things did stand out to me.

- In Dom Violi's office he had Project Colisée notes and New paper clippings following the Rizzutos.
- The RCMP had another informant associated in the same circles that was willing to become a police agent. He was going to be their plan B if Morena didn't work out.
- Metelsky said Morena had contacts in NY, Buffalo, Montreal, and Hamilton. He was almost instantly accepted in these circles when he began cooperating.
- Dom Violi beat out 30 American mobsters for Underboss. So that wasn't even considering Rocco or Natale or any other possible Canadian mobsters. I don't really want to start any arguments about this again but it was just interesting since he emphasized "American."
-Paul Semplice was at the induction.
- Metelsky also said he became a "inducted made member, a Caporegime." I'm honestly not sure if he just misspoke but he referred to him as a Capo or Caporegime at least 3 times during the podcast. But he's also say a made man each time too. So he may just have his terminology wrong but it's worth mentioning. Also in the induction video we know Zummo said something along the lines of "you report to ____ he's our skipper."

If he was made a Capo it's pretty significant since it'd be the first Bonanno Capo in Ontario.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Welp, the last two posts sure clears it up for us: The Buffalo mob either doesn’t exist or they have 30 made men in the US alone. Glad that’s settled.
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

OcSleeper wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:31 pm Two part podcast by Morgan Wrighr & Steve Murphy with guest Stephen Metelsky. They discuss oganized crime in Canada and the Violi investigation, Project O'Tremens.

Part 1 was mostly about Stephen's story of becoming a police officer, his earlier years as a cop, and a bunch of corny Canadian jokes. Part 2 is where they really start talking about Project O'Tremens and the police agent.

They mostly discussed stuff that has already been known by us. But a few things did stand out to me.

- In Dom Violi's office he had Project Colisée notes and New paper clippings following the Rizzutos.
- The RCMP had another informant associated in the same circles that was willing to become a police agent. He was going to be their plan B if Morena didn't work out.
- Metelsky said Morena had contacts in NY, Buffalo, Montreal, and Hamilton. He was almost instantly accepted in these circles when he began cooperating.
- Dom Violi beat out 30 American mobsters for Underboss. So that wasn't even considering Rocco or Natale or any other possible Canadian mobsters. I don't really want to start any arguments about this again but it was just interesting since he emphasized "American."
- Metelsky also said he became a "inducted made member, a Caporegime." I'm honestly not sure if he just misspoke but he referred to him as a Capo or Caporegime at least 3 times during the podcast. But he's also say a made man each time too. So he may just have his terminology wrong but it's worth mentioning. Also in the induction video we know Zummo said something along the lines of "you report to ____ he's our skipper."

If he was made a Capo it's pretty significant since it'd be the first Bonanno Capo in Ontario.
Paul Semplice was at the induction of a Bonnano member? Seems odd givent that Semplice is Gambino.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

moneyman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:37 am Paul Semplice was at the induction of a Bonnano member? Seems odd givent that Semplice is Gambino.
That's what he said. Violi was allegedly there too so that's the Gambinos and Buffalo.
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

OcSleeper wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:30 am
moneyman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:37 am Paul Semplice was at the induction of a Bonnano member? Seems odd givent that Semplice is Gambino.
That's what he said. Violi was allegedly there too so that's the Gambinos and Buffalo.
This seems like a big deal if true. I wonder if this has happened before, where a family member of another family is present for the induction of a member from a different family.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

moneyman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 am
This seems like a big deal if true. I wonder if this has happened before, where a family member of another family is present for the induction of a member from a different family.
It has happened in Sicily a few times we know of and Bill Bonanno if you can believe him said there were members of several families at his induction.

It’s rare but it happens.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

moneyman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:37 am
OcSleeper wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:31 pm Two part podcast by Morgan Wrighr & Steve Murphy with guest Stephen Metelsky. They discuss oganized crime in Canada and the Violi investigation, Project O'Tremens.

Paul Semplice was at the induction of a Bonnano member? Seems odd givent that Semplice is Gambino.
Canada guys would have to include all the guys arrested in that drug case in 1990 (Vaccaro, Spadafora, etc.) Luppinos oldest son (?). Nats sons. Avignone. Clary (associate). Iavarone.
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

NickleCity wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:31 pm In this video from July 2021, Lee Coppola still thinks it is a ridiculous notion that the Buffalo mob exists. And at 42 minute in he talks about his “close family relation who was inside the Buffalo mafia,” and protected him. https://youtu.be/rQd_MfsCPlI
Any speculation to who that was/is?
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

johnny_scootch wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:15 am
It has happened in Sicily a few times we know of and Bill Bonanno if you can believe him said there were members of several families at his induction.

Bonanno underboss Frank Garofalo attended a San Francisco Family induction in the 1940s, Ray DeCarlo's induction in the 1940s was presided over by Philly boss Joe Bruno, and Nick Delmore was inducted with Genovese members during the same period. Most famous example is the Bonanno/Lucchese ceremony where Valachi was made.

John Misuraca sponsored multiple San Jose members for membership but don't know/can't recall if he attended.

Probably more examples than we know.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If Semplice was going to Canada there's the question too if he's connected to the Montreal guys. His hometown is very close to Cattolica Eraclea and Siculiana and he has strong ties back there.

With the rumors about Frank Cali having a hand in Montreal and Giovanni Inzerillo going to Toronto it opens up some possibilities with Semplice and Canada given he's part of that faction. This group of guys operate in a small world.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Bonanno underboss Frank Garofalo attended a San Francisco Family induction in the 1940s, Ray DeCarlo's induction in the 1940s was presided over by Philly boss Joe Bruno, and Nick Delmore was inducted with Genovese members during the same period. Most famous example is the Bonanno/Lucchese ceremony where Valachi was made.

John Misuraca sponsored multiple San Jose members for membership but don't know/can't recall if he attended.

Very interesting. I did not know that.
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

B. wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info, B. Super interesting. Seems like all of these instances are from years ago, making the Semplice example even more interesting given that it's so recent.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Newyorkempire wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:12 pm
NickleCity wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:31 pm In this video from July 2021, Lee Coppola still thinks it is a ridiculous notion that the Buffalo mob exists. And at 42 minute in he talks about his “close family relation who was inside the Buffalo mafia,” and protected him. https://youtu.be/rQd_MfsCPlI
Any speculation to who that was/is?
As most of you are aware, I have disagreed with Coppola’s analysis of the Buffalo mob. At the heart of my distrust is his ’98 article “The Withered Arm.” He writes:
Twenty-six years ago the son of another Buffalo godfather was destined to take his father's place. On a warm summer night, dressed in a white linen suit, he and his associates, together with wives and girlfriends, entered Eduardo's nightclub on Bailey Avenue, where Louie Prima was performing. The club grew strangely quiet as the entourage proceeded to a long table. In what could have been a scene from any number of Mafia movies, those in the nightclub who knew whispered to those who didn't who had just entered.

But between then and now, the heir apparent to Buffalo's Mafia throne, Joseph Todaro, went legitimate. He opened a pizzeria, quit his job at Local 210 and concentrated on running his business. Today, La Nova Pizza ranks as a Buffalo success story, a neighborhood pizzeria that reportedly grosses millions of dollars a year and distributes its popular chicken wings throughout the nation. Its owner, for years having dodged government efforts to put him behind bars, has never been convicted of a crime, and now reportedly shuns any contact with his former life.
I have never been able to believe that Todaro, Jr. had gone legitimate and was no longer active in the Buffalo mob as the paragraphs above suggest. Yes, he gave up his position in local 210-but insinuate he went legitimate and was no longer active in the mob is a stretch. Especially given the government filed the civil racketeering suit naming both Todaro’s in 1999. See: https://buffalonews.com/news/mobs-contr ... 8b200.html

It wasn’t until around 2006 that the rumors really began to fly and be picked up in a couple newspapers that the Todaro’s had stepped down and Falzone and/or Nicoletti had taken their place.

Were those rumors true?

I think the information that has come out regarding the Buffalo mafia in recent years disproves the notion that Joe retired. I have always believed the Todaro’s hired a public relations firm to develop a strategy to manipulate the press and the public. I also believe the rumors about them stepping down have been part of the strategy.

Who is the public relations firm working for the Todaro’s?

I can’t prove it; but if I’m right, it is Pantano and Associates. They have done a lot of work for Seneca Gaming and rumor is the Buffalo mob is still heavily involved with Native American gambling and continues to have a presence on the reservations in WNY. (Whether you want to believe me or not, I’ve heard this information regarding the Buffalo mafia’s involvement on the reservations from people who are active.) See: http://pantanopr.com/wordpress/about/

If I’m right about Pantano and Associates, Phil Pantano’s father Phil Sr. was a connected laborer at 210. I have not been able to track down if he and is dad are related to Sam Pantano who married Carla Todaro with my limited internet searches.

Another reason I don’t trust Coppola is his sources. In his presentation “Fall of the Buffalo Mafia” at the Robert H. Jackson center at around the 60 minute mark Lee talks about how he got started writing about the Buffalo mob. He grew up on the Westside and told his editor that he “had sources that could give him info” and “contact on the fringe and in” the mob. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/AvOtVM3Zais

Questions I have:

1. Did Lee really just find out that he had “close family relation in the mob?” Or did he just find out that this close family relation “protected him?”
2. Why would someone in the mob tell Lee what was going on?
3. There was a significant amount of factionalism in the period that Lee began to write.
4. Were his sources in the mafia feeding him information about factions they wanted out of power?
5. Did he knowingly or unknowingly help the Todaro faction come to power?

Fun fact: The Coppola name has a history in the Buffalo mob. The family was connected to the DiCarlo gang in the 1930’s. For example there was Sam “Scareface” Coppola, Frankie Coppola, Steve Coppola, and Iggy Coppola. In the book DiCarlo: Buffalo’s First Family of Crime these individuals are mentioned with the likes of known members and associates of the Buffalo crime family such as: Sam, Steve, Horace, and Joe Pieri, “Doc” Alessi, and John Camilleri.

If one does a little Facebook sleuthing, it is easy to see that cousins Albert and Marc Coppola, NYS/Buffalo city counsel politicians, are very friendly with many individuals I believe to be in or highly connected to the Buffalo mob. Of course maybe it is just because they all grew up in that close-knit westside Italian neighborhood.

I love what Albert said to the Buffalo News:

According to Harold J. Boreanaz, Todaro's attorney, FBI agents also spent their day near the restaurant, snapping photos from a house across the street -- a claim neither confirmed nor denied by the federal agency.

Coppola said he doesn't care who takes his picture when he goes into La Nova on St. Joseph's Day.

"Nobody is ducking their heads. There's nothing to be ashamed about, going there," Coppola said. "This is a charity event. I only know one side to the Joe Todaro story -- he's one of the first guys to help any charity that needs help. I've been involved with running charity events, and when you pick up the phone and ask Joe for some pizzas, he's there to help, no questions asked.”

See: https://buffalonews.com/news/those-who- ... ed028.html

(By the way, I believe the St. Jospeph’s Day Table that La Nova proudly puts on was developed by the PR people they hired to rehabilitate their image.)

If you are interested, here is a little more to read about the Coppola cousins:

Election Splits Cousins
https://buffalonews.com/news/election-s ... 1b998.html

Political Payoffs?
https://buffalonews.com/news/accusation ... d48fa.html

Coppola’s Story Parallels Cousins
https://buffalonews.com/news/coppolas-s ... c7d7b.html

BTW Nanula’s are important in Buffalo and I believe Dana Christine Panepinto Todaro divorced Joey Todaro III and married a Nanula.

***I do not know if Al or Marc are in anyway related to Lee. Or if Lee is related to the 1930’s gangsters. However, given the fact that there tend to be longstanding family connections to the mafia, this needs to be investigated a little more. Especially given the fact that Lee has “a close relation” in the mafia that protected him and because he has had “sources in the mafia” feeding him information.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Great contributions, a good read all. Props to NC especially.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.