Which of the 5 Families do you find least interesting, and why?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

InCamelot
Straightened out

Which of the 5 Families do you find least interesting, and why?

Post by InCamelot »

Do any of the five just have a story or a quality that you don't seem to find as interesting? Not that you find them boring per se, but you tend to gravitate to learn about other ones first?

And for what reason?

Mine would be the Gambino's for example. I want to learn more about them some time soon, but in my head its just "yeah they were big, had a ton of guys. Decades ago they were labelled the "most powerful" and "the dominant"...yup".
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Which of the 5 Families do you find least interesting, and why?

Post by Adam »

Obviously they're all interesting. Otherwise we wouldn't be here. But in all honesty, I find the Genovese the least interesting. From the outside they seem very boring which is a testament to how good they are. I think in terms of 70s-present. Gambinos have a boss killed by a renegade crew, and Sammy flipping, Demeo..... Colombo's have a war in the 90s and Scarpa and come across as a little kill crazy.... Lucheses have Casso and Amuso coming along, and then the transition after that and some good court cases. Bonannos have Galante getting killed, the Three Captains, Massino taking over and flipping. So there's lots of interesting areas you can focus on. Genoveses don't really have good information available on them. Which again is good work on their part. It's why Philly is so interesting. Because there's always something going on and Philly is small enough to actually be aware of pretty much all the important people.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

InCamelot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:21 pm Do any of the five just have a story or a quality that you don't seem to find as interesting? Not that you find them boring per se, but you tend to gravitate to learn about other ones first?

And for what reason?

Mine would be the Gambino's for example. I want to learn more about them some time soon, but in my head its just "yeah they were big, had a ton of guys. Decades ago they were labelled the "most powerful" and "the dominant"...yup".
Imo the Genovese are the family I’m most uninterested about. They’re too lowkey, not a lot of info in their inner workings besides, Bugs, Fish, and some other guys who flipped which you can count with your own fingers. Although I think they have the most powerful members when going toe to toe with same ranks from other families, talking the Rosario Gangis, the Matty Horse, Gigante when he was captain, Mike Miranda, etc. but they’re too lowkey & are the hardest to get into so you have a lot of guys who don’t get straightened out. My favorite family to read about is the Luccheses because of how powerful the family was from the 1940s, to 1985-86. Tommy Lucchese, Paul Vario, Vic & Gas, NJ Crew, the Bronx & Brooklyn Crew.. all of them I’m always interested to know more about.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

The Lucchese, I have always heard very little of this family, Genovese we have heard from Joe The Boss to giant Chin, Colombo has three wars, Bonanno has Banana Wars, Gambino is full of twists, the Lucchese are the ones I least see talking about.
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

so many Gambino bosses and underbosses get killed one way or another. There's gotta be something to that. For that percentage to be that high. May be another reason to learn more about them.
Costigan
Straightened out

Post by Costigan »

I find the Lucchese, Colombo, and Bonanno families the least interesting because they always seem to be in such disarray. The Genovese and Gambino's are bigger and better run.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

Costigan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:44 pm I find the Lucchese, Colombo, and Bonanno families the least interesting because they always seem to be in such disarray. The Genovese and Gambino's are bigger and better run.
Its interesting. There are other posters here where that is the exact reason why they find them interesting. Neither is more valid, just interesting.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

InCamelot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 pm
Costigan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:44 pm I find the Lucchese, Colombo, and Bonanno families the least interesting because they always seem to be in such disarray. The Genovese and Gambino's are bigger and better run.
Its interesting. There are other posters here where that is the exact reason why they find them interesting. Neither is more valid, just interesting.
Yeah, for me the disarray is interesting because you end up with a lot more information.
Ryan98366
Straightened out

Post by Ryan98366 »

Adam wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:44 pm Obviously they're all interesting. Otherwise we wouldn't be here. But in all honesty, I find the Genovese the least interesting. From the outside they seem very boring which is a testament to how good they are. I think in terms of 70s-present. Gambinos have a boss killed by a renegade crew, and Sammy flipping, Demeo..... Colombo's have a war in the 90s and Scarpa and come across as a little kill crazy.... Lucheses have Casso and Amuso coming along, and then the transition after that and some good court cases. Bonannos have Galante getting killed, the Three Captains, Massino taking over and flipping. So there's lots of interesting areas you can focus on. Genoveses don't really have good information available on them. Which again is good work on their part. It's why Philly is so interesting. Because there's always something going on and Philly is small enough to actually be aware of pretty much all the important people.
I agree on the Genovese. They are too low-key. Which is why they are the best.
#Let’s Go Brandon!
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

If one of Barney's key guys flipped? My goodness. A new generation of books, movies and a HBO show.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
baldo
Straightened out

Post by baldo »

I really can’t bring myself to care about the Colombo family. Don’t need to read any more about the wars, scarpa, wild bill, etc. I find the Genovese and gambino most interesting. The fact that they don’t have much info about their current activities makes it more interesting.
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

Gambino, Gambino is the least interesting crime family hands down.

Not for any reason some of you may think, I just hate how trendy this particular crime family is. It's like rappers with Scarface, everything is Gotti this - Gotti that. I'm so sick of the pop culture that surrounds this particular crime family, and it's not even the family itself, but the Gotti part of it.

I cannot tell you how many Italian guido-retards i've met growing up in NY, with the orange skin, and spiked gel hair. Who's last name just so happens to be Gambino, or some sort of variation of it like Gambini; Who act like they're hot shit, just because of what their last name is, even though they most likely have zero relations with John Gotti - and they never do have any actual relation to him or the crime family as a whole. Basically dick riding a crime family, just because they share a similar last name. I don't see this happening with any other crime family.

I find the Gambino the least interesting, the same reason I find America's role uninteresting during world war 2, because it's all people ever fucking talk about.
It’s Blood alone, that moves the wheels of history
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

All of the families are interesting in some way. However, the Gambinos aren’t too interesting to read about. I’ve already heard the Gotti story 500 times and the only thing about the family that intrigues me today are the zips on 18th ave.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

If you're talking about shoot outs, the Genovese are the least interesting. But if you're intrigued by an organization's ability to remain successful and low key as they have, then they are interesting in that sense.

I've always thought that their success is by dominating the vice rackets. That's what it was all about from the beginning and still to this day. The needs of bored men. These are the rackets that law enforcement is least concerned with. Drugs are obviously where the line's drawn. Do the Genovese deal drugs the way the other families do? I don't see a lot of big drug busts with them as I do the other families. Gambling, women (prostitution), loan sharking (service to gamblers who can't go elsewhere for loans). The beauty of these rackets is that they don't come with these debilitating 20 year sentences like drug cases. They're easy to plea out of.

Meanwhile look at Chicago. They're practically non-existent now and I can't help but to think it's because they hitched everything onto their large scale business rackets. Teamsters, Vegas, etc. When that went down, they went down with it. They didn't diversify, at least not enough. If you're going to hitch everything to large scale business rackets, then I think you have to have a path to eventually going legit. Maybe that's what Accardo was trying to do.

I don't know. I'm just always wondered how the Genovese family seems to be the closest thing there is to how the mob was run in it's glory days.They have to be doing something different from the others. I doubt it's just by chance.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Peppermint wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:10 am Gambino, Gambino is the least interesting crime family hands down.

Not for any reason some of you may think, I just hate how trendy this particular crime family is. It's like rappers with Scarface, everything is Gotti this - Gotti that. I'm so sick of the pop culture that surrounds this particular crime family, and it's not even the family itself, but the Gotti part of it.

I cannot tell you how many Italian guido-retards i've met growing up in NY, with the orange skin, and spiked gel hair. Who's last name just so happens to be Gambino, or some sort of variation of it like Gambini; Who act like they're hot shit, just because of what their last name is, even though they most likely have zero relations with John Gotti - and they never do have any actual relation to him or the crime family as a whole. Basically dick riding a crime family, just because they share a similar last name. I don't see this happening with any other crime family.

I find the Gambino the least interesting, the same reason I find America's role uninteresting during world war 2, because it's all people ever fucking talk about.

You aren't wrong there at all.