What books are you reading now?

Discuss and talk about books of all kind. O.C articles are to remain in the Black Hand Article forum.

Moderator: Capos

Italianheritage
Honorary Member

What books are you reading now?

Post by Italianheritage » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:30 pm

I am reading the book Mr. Capone by by Robert J. Schoenberg.

This topic isn't necessarily about organized crime books; but just what books you are reading right now.

Mukremin
Honorary Member

Re: What books are you reading now?

Post by Mukremin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:47 am

I am reading several books at a time :D
During work i read Stanford J. Shaw - The Holocaust and Turkey.
During the long train trips i read - Being a child in the Ottoman Empire
And when at home i read - DiCarlo, Buffalo family.
:mrgreen:

JCB1977
Full Patched

Post by JCB1977 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:46 pm

Just finished a book on Joe Kennedy called "The sins of the father" by Ronald Kessler. Next up, Closed Chambers: The Rise, Fall and Future of the Modern Supreme Court by Edward Lazarus.
JCB19777 AND THE REST OF YOU CAN ALL GO AND FUCK YOURSELF!

--jayboy

Wiseguy
Full Patched

Post by Wiseguy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm reading Solidarity for Sale: How Corruption Destroyed the Labor Movement and Underminded America's Promise by Robert Fitch. You do have to wade through quite a bit of non-pertinent stuff but there are some really interesting parts relative to the mob. It gives a good look the mob's ongoing influence in organized labor.
"A man like Tywin Lannister comes along once in a thousand years."

Costigan
Honorary Member

Post by Costigan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello All, this is my first post on the board. I've read about the WWII in Europe and Russian Front for many years, both fiction and nonfiction, but I've not read that much about the Pacific campaigns. Something I've noticed over the years in mass media is that you get the impression that the war in Europe was fought and won solely by the 101st Airborne, and in the Pacific by the USMC. I heard a writer on TV say recently that the US Army campaign to take the Philippines was the most successful US campaign of the Pacific, killing or capturing over 400,000 Japanese troops, as well as destroying a good portion of their navy at Leyte Gulf. With that in mind I began reading about the war in the Philippines. After several good histories I started reading fiction. Norman Mailer is one of my favorite writers and right now I'm reading The Naked and the Dead. He served in the P.I. in an armored cavalry regiment, and the books characters are based on some of the men he served with. So far I'm really enjoying it. I also read James Jones' The Thin Red Line awhile back, I liked it also.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize

dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Yes the battle for the Philippines was for sure a big battle in the Pacific. I mentioned about my cousin being on the Sammie Roberts and was one of the survivors of it's sinking, well I think that was one of the battles in the Leyte Gulf as well. The Japs were some of the most ruthless people we've battled except for this new age of terrorist.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....

thedudeabides
Associate

Post by thedudeabides » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:16 am

Just finished Bad Monkey and Star Island by Carl Hiassen
Just started Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol

mick2010
Associate

Post by mick2010 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:56 am

I am also reading Mr. Capone, although its kind of on hold now, while I finish The Mob and the City. Also reading Chuvalo: a fighters life. Recently finished The First Family by Mike Dash. Up next will be Killing Pablo, although I have a ton of books on my to read list. I've had very good luck lately with the second hand stores. picked up Mr. Capone, White Shotgun, Crimaldi: contract killer, Lucky Luciano, the real and fake gangster, Mobbed Up, Excellent Cadavers, Illicit, Under and Alone, a man of honor, the last narco, mobfather and Mean Business (shawn o'sullivan story). also got Tyson- undisputed truth for Christmas and ordered Blood Brotherhoods and Bummy Davis vs. Murder Inc from amazon. I think Im set for books for a while.

JCB1977
Full Patched

Post by JCB1977 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:03 am

Just finished Closed Chambers by Ed Lazarus. Up next: The Sly-Fanner Murders by Allan May.
JCB19777 AND THE REST OF YOU CAN ALL GO AND FUCK YOURSELF!

--jayboy

Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Where can you get this Shadow Of My Father book?
I was also told by a very close friend of tall pete that John gambino was boss of the gambino family