Carlo Caputo book

Discuss and talk about books of all kind. O.C articles are to remain in the Black Hand Article forum.

Moderator: Capos

BeatiPaoli
Honorary Member

Carlo Caputo book

Post by BeatiPaoli » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 am

To Everyone: Does anyone know anything about a book written by Tom Caputo, son of Madision Family boss Carlo Caputo, entitled "The Phantom Don" about his father? He did a podcast which I have not listened to. I cannot find it on Amazon. Any info?

Regards,
BeatiPaoli

cavita
Honorary Member

Re: Carlo Caputo book

Post by cavita » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 am

BeatiPaoli wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 am
To Everyone: Does anyone know anything about a book written by Tom Caputo, son of Madision Family boss Carlo Caputo, entitled "The Phantom Don" about his father? He did a podcast which I have not listened to. I cannot find it on Amazon. Any info?

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
Do you know if this is the author?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BeatiPaoli
Honorary Member

Post by BeatiPaoli » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 am

To Cavita: I have no information beyond what I posted. I do not know who the picture is.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli

Dwalin2014
Honorary Member

Post by Dwalin2014 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:52 am

I didn't know there is such a book, but I would be REALLY interested in reading it, because I thought the only thing known about Carlo Caputo is that he was the boss of Madison for a long time and did a month for tax evasion, nothing else...I thought he was the least prominent mafioso in the whole history of the USA mafia (not in terms of rank, but in terms of "never doing anything relevant") and even used to joke about "how would they be able to make a documentary or write a book about Carlo Caputo if he did nothing and nothing is known about him" :) . Yet, somebody managed to gather enough information about him to make an entire book! Even if the author is his son who knows more than other people, it's still a shock to me, to be honest :o For example, I wasn't even sure whether Caputo has ever ordered any hits, never read about mafia murders in Madison during the decades he was boss, thought that the month he did for tax evasion was the ONLY thing at least slightly noticeable about him. Definitely hope to get my hands on this book sooner or later, thanks for the information!

cavita
Honorary Member

Post by cavita » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:39 am

As I recall, Carlo Caputo fled Chicago during the Capone/Aiello war and settled in Milwaukee with Joe "Pizza Pie" Aiello who fled with him. Apparently both men were made members in Milwaukee during their time there. By 1935 they both had settled in Madison where Benedetto DiSalvo was already LCN boss of that city. Sometime in the 1950s leadership was turned over to Caputo and Aiello became second in command, but basically even then Madison was already inactive and had been since the 1940s. In 1963 Frank Balistrieri expressed desire to move in on Madison's territory but had abandoned these plans by 1965 for whatever reason. Also as I recall, Caputo is known to have conducted at least one making ceremony wherein James Schiavo was made a member sometime in the mid 1960s. I don't think there was ever a mob sanctioned hit in Madison or on their behalf while Caputo was boss, so I'm hoping a book on his activities will shed a little more light.

Antiliar
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Antiliar » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:13 pm

His new book (or probably an upcoming book) is tentatively called "The Phantom Don." He was interviewed twice on MadisonTalks.com:

http://madisontalks.com/series/tom-caputo/

UTC
Honorary Member

Post by UTC » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Cavita, why would Milwaukee have to "move in" on Madison's territory if as you say there was no LCN activity there anyway for 20 or so years? I can't imagine a worse place for a mob family than the People's Republic of Madison anyway.

cavita
Honorary Member

Post by cavita » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:40 pm

UTC wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm
Cavita, why would Milwaukee have to "move in" on Madison's territory if as you say there was no LCN activity there anyway for 20 or so years? I can't imagine a worse place for a mob family than the People's Republic of Madison anyway.

Not sure. I'd have to look for the FBI files that mentioned it but I seem to remember that Chicago wouldn't allow Balistrieri to make that move for some reason.

cavita
Honorary Member

Post by cavita » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:53 pm

cavita wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:40 pm
UTC wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Not sure. I'd have to look for the FBI files that mentioned it but I seem to remember that Chicago wouldn't allow Balistrieri to make that move for some reason.
Here it is:

Madison Family

MI T-2 advised on August 7, 1968 that CARLO CAPUTO is still considered the boss of the Madison LCN family, and JOSEPH AIELLO would be considered next in line. FRANK BALISTRIERI attempted to get control of the Madison family about 2 years ago; however was unsuccessful. According to informant, the Madison family is under the control of the Chicago LCN family, but it was not known by informant who in the Chicago family has the authority over the Madison family. Informant advised the Madison family continues to be inactive and none of the members are known to be engaged in any criminal activities.

Dwalin2014
Honorary Member

Post by Dwalin2014 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:51 pm

I know there is much nonsense on wikipeida, but if this part is true, it really made my day:
If what law enforcement suggest is true, then the alleged Madison LCN Family was a two-man operation and has to be the smallest membership of any mob family.
This is referring to the occasion when underboss Joseph Aiello has died. So, after his death, what was Caputo boss of? Himself only? :lol: Maybe that's why he made James Schiavo, to have at least somebody to give orders to :) If this was the real local "mafia", maybe Balistrieri simply checked the situation and decided not to bother with small fry that could barely make a couple of dollars for him...Did the Chicago outfit really need to put pressure and kick him out? If I was Balistrieri, I wouldn't want that territory even if I was paid to accept it, at least that's the impression I got from the descriptions of the "degree of power" that the "Mafia" in Madison had under Caputo.