Harold S. Long Books

Discuss and talk about books of all kind. O.C articles are to remain in the Black Hand Article forum.

Moderator: Capos

tmarotta
Honorary Member

Harold S. Long Books

Post by tmarotta » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:54 am

I know this is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone has ever read Getting Started in the Illicit Drug Business by Harold S Long? It was one of the books the Feds found in Tommy Pitera's possession when he was arrested. I have read his other four books, which to be honest were disappointing although they have great titles.

Successful Armed Robbery: Not as much good information as one would think. It is a a good basic guide but many of the things he talks about are common sense (E.g. case who or where you are going to rob, acquire unregistered weapons, be careful who you talk to, etc.).

Surviving in Prison: Big disappointment. It mainly discussed filing paperwork and dealing with the prison administration.

How to Collect Illegal Debts: Another big disappointment, there are better descriptions in many mafia books.

Making Crime Pay: This was okay, but again you expect more.

I am wondering what everyone thinks and if I should splurge and spend the $120 to get this book. Although I have been very disappointed in acquiring rare books in the past in particular The Hammer Conspiracy and the Joe Barboza book I cannot recall the title. Any input would be helpful. I only have personally met one person in my life who read the book and he said it was great but $120 is a lot for a book.

OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Harold S. Long Books

Post by OlBlueEyesClub » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Whats "The Hammer Conspiracy" about again? Thats the one about the Rochester mob right? I looked into purchasing it once on Amazon, price was like $175. I passed. And IMO, Animal (The Barboza book), is not even worth the effort you'll put forth trying to find it available for purchase.

tmarotta
Honorary Member

Re: Harold S. Long Books

Post by tmarotta » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:12 am

Right "The Hammer Conspiracy" was about the murder of member Jimmy "The Hammer" Massaro and the resulting conviction and the eventual overturning of said convictions of all the members of the upper echelon of the Rochester mob. It sounds great but it was really disappointing, as there was not the amount of detail and inside information I for one at least expected. Honestly, the backstory about the guy who wrote it Richard Aloi is more interesting than the book. He had an affair with the exotic dancer girlfriend of Rene Piccarreto and he actually spent a lot of time hanging around members of the Rochester mob. One of the stories he could have told was that apparently, according to local gossip in Rochester, the last time Thomas Marotta got shot it was because the exotic dancer who was sleeping with Aloi and Piccarreto, a lady named Naja Hara, was having an additional affair with Marotta and she broke off her affair with Piccarreto to be with Marotta. One would think he would have been privy to lots of great stories yet sadly none ended up in the book.

Agreed on the Barboza book, I am still pissed about the money I spent on that piece of crap.