Vinny Gorgeous: The Ugly Rise and Fall of a New York Mobster

Discuss and talk about books of all kind. O.C articles are to remain in the Black Hand Article forum.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Honorary Member

Vinny Gorgeous: The Ugly Rise and Fall of a New York Mobster

Post by antimafia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 am

I refuse to pay more than US $3,000.00 for a new copy of an older book. Et vouz?

Vinny Gorgeous book--screencap.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Re: Vinny Gorgeous: The Ugly Rise and Fall of a New York Mobster

Post by HairyKnuckles » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:47 am

My limit is at $3,999.00 so I will have to forget about owning that book. Damn!
The more I learn, the more I become aware of my ignorance

antimafia
Honorary Member

Post by antimafia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 am

HK, I'm fairly certain that you can set up an alert that tells you when the price of the book drops to $3,999.00 or below. :D

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 am

antimafia wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 am
HK, I'm fairly certain that you can set up an alert that tells you when the price of the book drops to $3,999.00 or below. :D
Thanks for the tip!

All kidding aside. ...that has to be a typo???
The more I learn, the more I become aware of my ignorance

antimafia
Honorary Member

Post by antimafia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 am

That was my first instinct too, HK.

But then I checked out the prices of other items also offered by this bookseller via Abebooks.com -- see https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... i=57531671.

In general, I find that for almost every used English-language book in the organized-crime genre, there is at least one seller offering copies of the used book at astronomical prices. Organized-crime books written in another language, e.g., French or Italian, are generally priced higher--at reasonable prices--for both new and used copies (but there are exceptions, especially if the book is well known).

gohnjotti
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by gohnjotti » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 pm

I got the book recently for $20 from some NZ retailers... surely you can find some other local retailers if Amazon isn't helpful.

antimafia
Honorary Member

Post by antimafia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:14 am

gohnjotti wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 pm
I got the book recently for $20 from some NZ retailers... surely you can find some other local retailers if Amazon isn't helpful.
The best prices for a used book like this will be found on Amazon Canada (amazon.ca) or Abe Books (abebooks.com). If I were to order through amazon.ca, the book is only CAD $10.97, with the bookseller being in the US (which is typically the case). Every once in a while, a book like this will be found in one of the local used-book stores for CAD $10 or less. Incidentally, I have read the book but am debating whether I want to own a print copy. The Kindle edition is only CAD $9.99; the Kindle edition on amazon.com is only US $7.94.

Sometimes the best prices for such books are on abebooks.com, even taking into account the exchange rate. Through abebooks.com I've recently bought a few used organized-crime books, written in Italian, that came from Germany and the UK.