New Accardo and Ricca book: any good? Opinions?

Discuss and talk about books of all kind. O.C articles are to remain in the Black Hand Article forum.
Dwalin2014
Honorary Member

New Accardo and Ricca book: any good? Opinions?

Post by Dwalin2014 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Just found this book on amazon:

www.amazon.com/Mob-Boss-Chicago-Bosses- ... 673&sr=1-3

It's isn't available in electronic format or for browsing inside, and there are only a few reviews. The size (560 pagies) is impressive, and the previous book by this author, "A Mob on his own" about Sam DeStefano seemed to be quite detailed and informative at first glance, but then again, I can give the opinion only about the pages available for preview for that other book. Some reviewers criticize it for too much detail, but this imo is a good thing, not a bad one: more detailed information there is, better it is, as long as the information is true and reliable. The DeStefano book, I am still unsure whether to buy it, maybe I will later; the fact that, according to some reviewers, it doesn't focus on Mad Sam alone, but covers extensively all associates of his, is a good thing too imo, as long as all the information is verified. But this new book about Accardo and Ricca, has anyone read it, could anyone give an opinion? Also, the author, Tony Dark, who is he, is he a known researcher? Can't find a biography of him.

Antiliar
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: New Accardo and Ricca book: any good? Opinions?

Post by Antiliar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Dwalin2014 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:21 pm
Just found this book on amazon:

www.amazon.com/Mob-Boss-Chicago-Bosses- ... 673&sr=1-3

It's isn't available in electronic format or for browsing inside, and there are only a few reviews. The size (560 pagies) is impressive, and the previous book by this author, "A Mob on his own" about Sam DeStefano seemed to be quite detailed and informative at first glance, but then again, I can give the opinion only about the pages available for preview for that other book. Some reviewers criticize it for too much detail, but this imo is a good thing, not a bad one: more detailed information there is, better it is, as long as the information is true and reliable. The DeStefano book, I am still unsure whether to buy it, maybe I will later; the fact that, according to some reviewers, it doesn't focus on Mad Sam alone, but covers extensively all associates of his, is a good thing too imo, as long as all the information is verified. But this new book about Accardo and Ricca, has anyone read it, could anyone give an opinion? Also, the author, Tony Dark, who is he, is he a known researcher? Can't find a biography of him.
It has good information, but nothing really new for the person who spent time studying Accardo and the Outfit. The book needed an editor because there are a lot spelling and grammar errors. Still, it's useful and interesting because it covers a lot of ground. It's all over the place, not well organized, but that doesn't bother me. So for the guy who is really into Accardo or the Outfit from the 1940s to the 1970s it's worth getting.

Tony Dark also goes by Antonio Napoli. I have no idea what is real name is. He seems to have a great collection of FBI files, but he's not interested in sharing (I contacted him several years ago).