College Football 2017

Discuss all sports in here.

Moderator: Capos

Chucky
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: College Football 2017

Post by Chucky » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 am

I think 6 would be better, get the 5 conference champs and one at large. I think with 8 it would take away some of the importance of the conference championship games, just my opinion.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson

Wiseguy
Full Patched

Post by Wiseguy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Chucky wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 am
I think 6 would be better, get the 5 conference champs and one at large. I think with 8 it would take away some of the importance of the conference championship games, just my opinion.
I think things need to be decided on the field, and not by the opinions of people on a committee, as much as possible. And the conference championship is simply a gateway to the playoff. I'm not sure 1 at large gives enough chance for non-P5 teams to get a shot. One thing is for sure, there should never be 2 teams from the same conference getting into the playoffs. That's right, I'm talking to you SEC.
"A man like Tywin Lannister comes along once in a thousand years."

Wiseguy
Full Patched

Post by Wiseguy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Be interesting to see the rankings tomorrow. Several top ranked teams lost today.

dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:55 pm

The SEC will NOT get 2 teams in.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....

Wiseguy
Full Patched

Post by Wiseguy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm

dixiemafia wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:55 pm
If the playoffs were today, the ACC would have both #2 Miami (9-0) and #4 Clemson (9-1) in. If I'm #5 Wisconsin (10-0), I'm pretty pissed off.

And that's what I'm talking about. What's been done with college football is an improvement over the BCS, but it's not good enough. Still too much is left up to the opinions of people in polls and on the playoff committee.

Expand the playoff to 8 teams.

5 spots go to the winners of the P5 conference championships. Which means the BIG 12 would actually have to live up to its name and pick up two more teams.

The other 3 spots would be at-large bids. But the best G5 teams should get preference before a P5 conference gets a 2nd team in. For example, UCF (9-0) from the AAC should get in before another P5 does.

Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 am

Well, if Miami and Clemson are better than the other teams out there, they should be in but your scenario is moot for now as most likely Notre Dame would be out and Wisconsin would be in, pending the new rankings coming out tomorrow.

dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Wiseguy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm
dixiemafia wrote:
If the playoffs were today, the ACC would have both #2 Miami (9-0) and #4 Clemson (9-1) in. If I'm #5 Wisconsin (10-0), I'm pretty pissed off.

And that's what I'm talking about. What's been done with college football is an improvement over the BCS, but it's not good enough. Still too much is left up to the opinions of people in polls and on the playoff committee.

5 spots go to the winners of the P5 conference championships. Which means the BIG 12 would actually have to live up to its name and pick up two more teams.

The other 3 spots would be at-large bids. But the best G5 teams should get preference before a P5 conference gets a 2nd team in. For example, UCF (9-0) from the AAC should get in before another P5 does.

What you are forgetting is that both cannot make it because they have to play. You can't go by "if the playoffs were today" because EVERY team still has games left. If Miami wins out they have to face Clemson and the winner makes the playoffs. That simple. Same if Wisconsin if they win out, they will be in the playoffs.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....

Wiseguy
Full Patched

Post by Wiseguy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:47 pm

dixiemafia wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 pm
Wiseguy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm
dixiemafia wrote:

What you are forgetting is that both cannot make it because they have to play. You can't go by "if the playoffs were today" because EVERY team still has games left. If Miami wins out they have to face Clemson and the winner makes the playoffs. That simple. Same if Wisconsin if they win out, they will be in the playoffs.
Yes but the current 4 team format potentially leaves a fifth P5 conference without a slot, not to mention any non-P5 teams that could also be deserving of one. And it's still largely decided by people on a committee.

Chucky
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Chucky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Who the hell has Wisconsin played?
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson

Wiseguy
Full Patched

Post by Wiseguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Chucky wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 pm
Who the hell has Wisconsin played?
That's just it. A lot of the decisions by the playoff committee is based on people's opinions about strength of schedule. And the supposed SOS is based on yet other opinions that make up the polls. Some with all sorts of convoluted stats and whatnot to try and support those views. But, as we saw just this past weekend, it's not always clear how good a team really is.

In any event, Wisconsin is currently 10-0 and if they win ouy, including the Big 10 championship, definitely deserve a playoff spot. Of course, it wouldn't even be an issue if they would just expand to 8 teams.