Pandolfo -> Gigante connection?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

eboli
Full Patched

Re: Pandolfo -> Gigante connection?

Post by eboli »

B. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:26 pm Have you found much about Pandolfo and Genovese's direct relationship?
I actually have found nothing directly linking Pandolfo with Genovese, but there are a couple things worthy of consideration. In the mid-30s when Genovese and Strollo kick-started their policy racket, it was advised that after some initial setbacks a third unnamed individual joined their operation. This person was described as an already established numbers operator in the Greenwich Village area, and that he gave them the boost to become the 'third biggest' operation in the city. As I already mentioned, about a decade later Pandolfo was confirmed as another 'big man' in the policy rackets in the neighborhood besides Strollo.

Vito was reported to have been squeamish about the people he went into business with on equal footing, he mostly stuck to people from his power base, people he trusted. If the unnamed numbers guy was Pandolfo, this means Vito had at least a cordial relationship with him, which makes me wonder if Pandolfo's promotion to consigliere had more to do with Costello keeping the internal peace, and not so much Pandolfo being in his camp, similar to how Vito promoted Catena and Miranda into the admin to keep them content when he became boss.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in the first post -- regardless of his personal relationship with Genovese (which was likely close anyway), Pandolfo was a top member of the Genovese faction and likely promoted at a time when no other Genovese loyalists were on the admin in the US. In larger, diverse families like the Genovese and Gambinos they don't tend to stuff the admin with the boss's loyalists like the Bonannos and Colombos do, instead making sure there is political balance with major factions represented.

Great connection, re: the policy reference. Could well be onto something.

Also in addition to his naturalization being witnessed by Chin's future father-in-law, Carlo Pandolfo lived in the same area on Thompson and as you pointed out hung out at a restaurant on the same block Chin grew up on. Sandino's in-laws lived right by the restaurant.

I would be more surprised at this point if Chin wasn't brought around the family initially by the Pandolfos than I would the alternative.

Greatly appreciate your insight into this family, man.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

eboli wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:06 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:04 pm So Gigante harbored a faggot? :mrgreen:

He didn't love him like a brother-in-law. :lol:

Patsy Gigante is an ass muncher.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:28 pm
What I found interesting about him is that according to his niece, he really wasn't in the closet. He was a flamboyant dresser who loved singing Italian love ballads and lived with his boyfriend in the open. He did everything what you'll expect out of a 'typical' gay man to do without actually saying he was gay, and that was in the 60s and 70s. I guess that wasn't a problem for him since he was a successful businessman, and he was a made member since the 50s. Maybe Cosa Nostra wasn't as close-minded as we were led to believe. Also, the FBI allocated more resources than average to confirm he had passed away when he did, so they deemed him of some importance in the early 80s.
The Genovese Family seemed to be more open to gays than the other Families. Little Davy Petillo and his partner Charles Gagliodotto were known to dress up in drag to do hits. Genovese and Strollo invested in gay bars.

http://gangstersinc.ning.com/profiles/b ... id-petillo

https://www.nationalcrimesyndicate.com/ ... gliodotto/

http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2010/12/ ... itted.html

https://www.history.com/news/how-the-mo ... -bar-scene

https://mafiagenealogy.wordpress.com/20 ... the-mafia/

https://themobmuseum.org/blog/the-gay-r ... newall-50/
Well, maybe they took the whole “Ivy League” of the mafia a little too literally. This was the Village crew that we’re talking about here, after all. And all the while they were calling the Gambinos “degenerates” for marrying their cousins.

I kid, of course. On a serious note, this could be yet another similarity between Chicago and the Genovese. There’s the story about Frank Schweihs dressing in drag to pull a hit. And then the rumors that both Joe Gagliano and Fifi Buccieri swung “the other way”. When speaking with Red Wemette once, he broached the subject, as a way of illustrating how the reality on the ground didn’t perfectly conform to the image we might have of Outfit guys back in the day. He confirmed that both Joe Gags and Buccieri were known to be bisexual, and further claimed that Frankie Laporte was another one. Wemette is a bit kooky but he comes across as honest to me, and is able to offer lots of little “slice of life” details on what it was like to socialize with and move around Outfit guys in his era. My take is that some guys went to Red and told him personal stuff because he wasn’t in the “family” and they probably just needed to gossip and/or get stuff off their chest to someone not in the inner circles, where it might come back to bite them.

Wemette also told me that Phil Amato’s (Grand Ave crew worker/associate) son Frank (also a GAC affiliate) was openly gay. Apparently some of the C-Notes and other hoods from the neighborhood would make fun of him and call him “Francine” but Lombardo and Jimmy Boy Cozzo wouldn’t tolerate Frank being abused or bullied. Red states that Cozzo in particular was a surprisingly “open minded guy” for his time and place, not the typical troglodyte wiseguy stereotype that we might imagine.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

DeCavalcante soldier Joseph Merlo Sr.'s brother was Frank Merlo, the well-known gay lover of Tennessee Williams and an actor himself. Interestingly, Joseph Merlo's grandson Joe Merlo III is also a gay actor and playwright, so I guess it runs in the family. His father is DeCavalcante soldier (possible street boss) Joe Merlo Jr. and other grandfather is former capodecina Pino Schifilliti. Online photos show he is very close to his father and grandfather Schifilliti, so despite being a mafia family known for killing their gay acting boss, they are at least tolerant of gay relatives.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:49 pm
Well, maybe they took the whole “Ivy League” of the mafia a little too literally. This was the Village crew that we’re talking about here, after all. And all the while they were calling the Gambinos “degenerates” for marrying their cousins.

I kid, of course. On a serious note, this could be yet another similarity between Chicago and the Genovese. There’s the story about Frank Schweihs dressing in drag to pull a hit. And then the rumors that both Joe Gagliano and Fifi Buccieri swung “the other way”. When speaking with Red Wemette once, he broached the subject, as a way of illustrating how the reality on the ground didn’t perfectly conform to the image we might have of Outfit guys back in the day. He confirmed that both Joe Gags and Buccieri were known to be bisexual, and further claimed that Frankie Laporte was another one. Wemette is a bit kooky but he comes across as honest to me, and is able to offer lots of little “slice of life” details on what it was like to socialize with and move around Outfit guys in his era. My take is that some guys went to Red and told him personal stuff because he wasn’t in the “family” and they probably just needed to gossip and/or get stuff off their chest to someone not in the inner circles, where it might come back to bite them.

Wemette also told me that Phil Amato’s (Grand Ave crew worker/associate) son Frank (also a GAC affiliate) was openly gay. Apparently some of the C-Notes and other hoods from the neighborhood would make fun of him and call him “Francine” but Lombardo and Jimmy Boy Cozzo wouldn’t tolerate Frank being abused or bullied. Red states that Cozzo in particular was a surprisingly “open minded guy” for his time and place, not the typical troglodyte wiseguy stereotype that we might imagine.
I was told that Willie Messino was another one. Red also said that Marshall Caifano had a prison "wife" during his stay - Alva Johnson Rodgers.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:26 pm

I was told that Willie Messino was another one. Red also said that Marshall Caifano had a prison "wife" during his stay - Alva Johnson Rodgers.
Caifano got a pass for that.

Hard to resist the Sopranos references here. But yes, Red told me about Rodgers as well. Who if I’m not mistaken was staying in an apartment in the couch house beyond Philly Amato’s building near Grand and Ogden during his time in Chicago.

I don’t recall hearing about Messino. In his case it’s even more interesting given that he of course worked for Joe Gags. Brings a whole new level of meaning to the term “juice racket” I suppose.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Should edit this thread title to "Pandolfo - > Gigante - > Gay Mobsters connection?"

Haha no, but it's all interesting, especially how these macho guys will quietly tolerate homosexuality.

I've always believed the gay rumors were invented about John D'Amato as an excuse to kill him. All of this conveniently happened at a time when there was a budding power struggle and Rotondo said D'Amato was ignoring the rest of the family leadership, showing signs that he was looking to take over the family.

The girlfriend seems to have been a little too close to Anthony Capo, who she first shared the allegations with, making me wonder if she was involved with Capo as well, The only thing that gives me pause is Gambino member Jimmy Sarullo was one of the first people to hear about the rumors, so it didn't go directly from the girlfriend to the DeCavalcante leadership but made its way into Staten Island gossip first.

Can't forget that the DeMeo crew had an openly gay associate, Vito Arena.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Well what do you expect from a guy named Fifi.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Im not sure if the rumor regarding Gagliano is true....but i dont want to take this great thread in another direction
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:06 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:26 pm

Caifano got a pass for that.

What are you gonan do? There's no women there. You're there five, ten years.

B. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:34 pm Can't forget that the DeMeo crew had an openly gay associate, Vito Arena.

I hear Vito has been riding up the Hershey highway.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:27 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:04 pm So Gigante harbored a faggot? :mrgreen:

He didn't love him like a brother-in-law. :lol:

Patsy Gigante is an ass muncher.

Pogo
OHHHHHHHH!

I'll tell you one thing, If it was me this kid was spreading rumors about, he'd have something up his own ass. And it wouldn't be no cock either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UulBszifFpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6mtTnEiZ9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeIf-9jE2mE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaCvFNH28lo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-vxHIyZ_dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcwW31LEqh4
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

B. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:24 pm DeCavalcante soldier Joseph Merlo Sr.'s brother was Frank Merlo, the well-known gay lover of Tennessee Williams and an actor himself. Interestingly, Joseph Merlo's grandson Joe Merlo III is also a gay actor and playwright, so I guess it runs in the family. His father is DeCavalcante soldier (possible street boss) Joe Merlo Jr. and other grandfather is former capodecina Pino Schifilliti. Online photos show he is very close to his father and grandfather Schifilliti, so despite being a mafia family known for killing their gay acting boss, they are at least tolerant of gay relatives.
Whilst researching the Merlos, found this about Frank Merlo. Interesting info about Mike Merlo (father of Frank and John) and that Frank was known as "Little Horse."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

nash143 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:27 am
B. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:24 pm DeCavalcante soldier Joseph Merlo Sr.'s brother was Frank Merlo, the well-known gay lover of Tennessee Williams and an actor himself. Interestingly, Joseph Merlo's grandson Joe Merlo III is also a gay actor and playwright, so I guess it runs in the family. His father is DeCavalcante soldier (possible street boss) Joe Merlo Jr. and other grandfather is former capodecina Pino Schifilliti. Online photos show he is very close to his father and grandfather Schifilliti, so despite being a mafia family known for killing their gay acting boss, they are at least tolerant of gay relatives.
Whilst researching the Merlos, found this about Frank Merlo. Interesting info about Mike Merlo (father of Frank and John) and that Frank was known as "Little Horse."
Nice find. Mike Merlo might be the same Michele Merlo that Louis LaRasso's father Alfonso LoRaso listed as his arrival contact when he came to Elizabeth from Sicily.

I'm a little confused about the exact relations, as there are a bunch of Merlos with the same first names, but all of them are related. It seems Frank may have actually been a cousin of Joe "Milk" Merlo Sr., not a brother. Let me know what you find.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:24 pm DeCavalcante soldier Joseph Merlo Sr.'s brother was Frank Merlo, the well-known gay lover of Tennessee Williams and an actor himself. Interestingly, Joseph Merlo's grandson Joe Merlo III is also a gay actor and playwright, so I guess it runs in the family.

I guess the turd doesn't fall far from the faggot's ass.

Pogo