More Magaddino family info 1960s (including Rochester)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

faffy444
On Record

Re: More Magaddino family info 1960s (including Rochester)

Post by faffy444 »

sam lovullo died in 1955 which was about a year before angelo acquisto committed suicide.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

There were four Carlisis, this is the first I heard of Alphonse being involved. Roy was of course UB in Buffalo and Sam and Carmen were both with the Outfit, although Carmen died fairly young (early seventies).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

faffy444 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:13 pm sam lovullo died in 1955 which was about a year before angelo acquisto committed suicide.
Acquisto was said to have been demoted in the early 1950s, a few years before he killed himself and Magaddino speaks very poorly of LoVullo, so I'd be curious if LoVullo also lost standing related to the Acquisto situation during that window of time between Acquisto's demotion and LoVullo's death.
faffy444
On Record

Post by faffy444 »

magaddino spoke poorly of most people most of the time. lovullo may have lost standing at some point in the early 50's. in the old days lovullo was one of the top guns .
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Far be it from me to post or comment about a topic with which I am wholly unfamiliar, but I accidentally became aware of the item to which I've linked below when I was searching for something else. There is a 4 min. video interview embedded in the article (ignore the 1 min. video embedded earlier in the article).

Was Rochester Mobster Jake Russo Strangled In This Restaurant Basement?

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 191800002/
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great article. Strange, though, that it doesn't mention the Agueci murder at all. It's clear from the Magaddino tapes and other info the FBI received at the time that Russolesi was suspected of handling the Agueci murder, whose body turned up in Rochester, and had generated unprecedented media and LE pressure given the drug case's connections to Magaddino and Valachi's testimony and connection to Agueci. Magaddino tapes show he was very concerned that Russolesi would crack under the pressure. One transcript also indicates he was upset with Russolesi because John Papalia was supposed to be killed along with Agueci but somehow Papalia wasn't killed and came to visit Magaddino in NF without prior approval. Valachi also told the FBI that he believed Papalia was supposed to be killed along with Agueci.

If Piccaretto was telling the full truth, it seems Magaddino was using the excuse of money to justify the Russolesi murder, or that was just one of the reasons. I can see why Magaddino wouldn't want to create another unnecessary connection to the Agueci case by telling Russolesi's underlings that was a motivation for the murder.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Wow great find. Especially that interview with Loren Piccaretto. He was the Acting UnderBoss during the 80s and now he is giving interviews to the press. Funny.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

That was fun to watch. The feds won the battle vs. the Rochester Mob, hand down.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Interesting story on Russo and the Rochester mob

Post by Wiseguy »

All roads lead to New York.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

would love to get hands on that interview with Rene Picaretto. shame it didnt get finished before he died. sounds like he was pulling a joe bonanno before he passed away . moved out west, and wanted to do a tell all on his life and his version of rochester's mob history. the guy was around for the crazy stuff
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:14 pm There were four Carlisis, this is the first I heard of Alphonse being involved. Roy was of course UB in Buffalo and Sam and Carmen were both with the Outfit, although Carmen died fairly young (early seventies).
Alphonse was arrested in 1967 and it seems that the Carlisis used the alias Drago, including Sam. After Als arrest, i dont have any info if he was still active under Aiuppa

Btw Sam was arrested back in 1947 on gambling charges in Cicero which means they were present in that area for quite a long time
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 pm
Snakes wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:14 pm There were four Carlisis, this is the first I heard of Alphonse being involved. Roy was of course UB in Buffalo and Sam and Carmen were both with the Outfit, although Carmen died fairly young (early seventies).
Alphonse was arrested in 1967 and it seems that the Carlisis used the alias Drago, including Sam. After Als arrest, i dont have any info if he was still active under Aiuppa

Btw Sam was arrested back in 1947 on gambling charges in Cicero which means they were present in that area for quite a long time
The Carlisis used Drago because their father, Joseph, used it. I'm not sure if Joseph was ever officially involved with LCN in any capacity, but he owned a tavern and did serve couple of years in prison (for an offense which I have not ascertained). Also, Al and Sam thought that their real last name was Drago for a time and they were registered in schools with the name. To make it even more confusing, Carmen/Carmine Carlisi also used the names "Sam Drago" and "Black Sam" years before the younger Carlisi achieved a position of prominence in the Outfit. It could be because Carmen's middle name was Samuel.

Al died in 1989 and I also didn't see any indication that he was active in Outfit affairs any time after his arrest. It looks like he stayed in the Chicago area, too.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:23 am
Villain wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 pm

The Carlisis used Drago because their father, Joseph, used it. I'm not sure if Joseph was ever officially involved with LCN in any capacity, but he owned a tavern and did serve couple of years in prison (for an offense which I have not ascertained). Also, Al and Sam thought that their real last name was Drago for a time and they were registered in schools with the name. To make it even more confusing, Carmen/Carmine Carlisi also used the names "Sam Drago" and "Black Sam" years before the younger Carlisi achieved a position of prominence in the Outfit. It could be because Carmen's middle name was Samuel.

Al died in 1989 and I also didn't see any indication that he was active in Outfit affairs any time after his arrest. It looks like he stayed in the Chicago area, too.
Cool stuff and thanks. So this means that Sam Carlisi from 1947 couldve been Carmen? And btw he was labeled as Carlisi back then, not Drago. Maybe we can receive some info from his adress on Polk st...

Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I believe that is referring to Samuel Carlisi. 4737 Polk Street was the address of Sam's father's tavern and I believe Sam and his parents lived in the flat above it. Sam also got a deferment from the draft in WWII because he claimed his parents were both dependent on him as his father was suffering from some ailments at the time. Sam enlisted in the Coast Guard at the end of WWII and served a couple of years before being honorably discharged. Sam was using Carlisi by this time but it appears that Carmen continued to use "Sam Drago" at the same time, which led to some confusion among investigating agents.

Roy was the only one living in Buffalo from at least the 1940s on. Carmen, Al, Sam, and both of their parents had all relocated to the Chicago area by then. It's interesting to note that Carmen and Al were alleged to be higher in the organization in the mid-sixties but Sam was the one described by informants as being "groomed" to take over Cicero for Joey Aiuppa at some point.