Carlo Gambino´s rise

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Carlo Gambino´s rise

Post by HairyKnuckles »

I found something interesting regarding Carlo Gambino´s promotion to captain within the Mangano Family.

The handwriting is kinda sloppy, it says "Informant knows Carlo Gambino from [redacted]. Gambino took over from Joe Castalino in 1936 after his death".

I´m sure the Joe Castalino mentioned must be Joe Castellano, Paul´s father. 1936 reference seems to be an error from the informant´s part, since I think Paul´s father died in 1946. But that´s somewhat of minor importance. At least, we know now how Gambino was promoted. I´ve also seen info on Gambino´s relationship to Anastasia but can´t seem to find the passage now. It says that Gambino had a very tough time under Anastasia and was demoted several times, both as a captain and a consigliere. It appears to me (and I could be wrong of course) that all Masottos, Castellanos, Gambinos and the early Guglielminis were in same crew. But how exactly Paul Castellano ended up a captain later on is still a mystery. It could be that he was given a crew when Gambino was made boss or simply succeeded him as captain. If the latter is correct, then Paolo Gambino was the one splitting off to lead a seperate crew. If you guys have any info on all this, please share.
There you have it, never printed before.
bronx
Full Patched

Re: Carlo Gambino´s rise

Post by bronx »

paolo had his own crew
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

bronx wrote:paolo had his own crew
Yes, I know that. But did Paolo succeed Carlo as a captain (taking over his crew) or was he given a seperate crew to run?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

The way I have it is that Paulo Gambino took over Carlo's Crew (probably in 1956 when Carlo became UnderBoss) and Paul Castellano took over the Crew of Francisco "Frank" Castellano (I believe an uncle of Big Puul's) when he died in 1956.
So I guessing these two Crews were originally a single Crew but had been split up between Joe Castellano and Frank Castellano or between Carlo Gambino and Frank Castellano some time prior to the 1950s. I believe Frank Castellano had been a Capo much earlier so it would have been the Joe Castellano/Carlo Gambino portion that would have split off.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Pogo The Clown wrote:The way I have it is that Paulo Gambino took over Carlo's Crew (probably in 1956 when Carlo became UnderBoss) and Paul Castellano took over the Crew of Francisco "Frank" Castellano (I believe an uncle of Big Puul's) when he died in 1956.
So I guessing these two Crews were originally a single Crew but had been split up between Joe Castellano and Frank Castellano or between Carlo Gambino and Frank Castellano some time prior to the 1950s. I believe Frank Castellano had been a Capo much earlier so it would have been the Joe Castellano/Carlo Gambino portion that would have split off.

Pogo
Could be. Frank Castellano (who was a cousin of Paul´s father Joe) is listed as a former caporegime on the Valachi charts.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

good stuff , not sure, then there was connie as in constantino. there was also a little paul but never was a captain.. carol's brother joe.. anything gambino is confusing , then joe gambino from the bronx who was a captain then taken down then a captain again..then john and joe the now gambino's..
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Nice find.

What's interesting too is Valachi claims that Carlo was a "boss with the other side" during the Castellammarese war. I always interpreted that to mean that he was a captain, but this would mean that's pretty unlikely. I would be surprised if he wasn't a captain before 1946, so 1936 sounds about right. Him being demoted as consigliere also plays into some of the chaos of figuring out who the administration members were during Anastasia's run.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

B. wrote:Nice find.

What's interesting too is Valachi claims that Carlo was a "boss with the other side" during the Castellammarese war. I always interpreted that to mean that he was a captain, but this would mean that's pretty unlikely.
Considering Gambino´s vast power later on, it could be that Valachi assumed Carlo was a captain already back then.
B. wrote:
I would be surprised if he wasn't a captain before 1946, so 1936 sounds about right. Him being demoted as consigliere also plays into some of the chaos of figuring out who the administration members were during Anastasia's run.
Unstable guy with an unrest administration for sure. Anastasia had three different underbosses that we know of (possibly more) and two different consiglieres within a six year time span. All this promoting and demoting of guys was surely not good for the stabilty of the Family and may have played a part in his demise.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Do you guy's know what years Gambino was the Consiglieri? Thanks.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Do you guy's know what years Gambino was the Consiglieri? Thanks.

Pogo
Not exactly what years but according to informants and according to Magaddino (on wire tap), Gambino was the Family consigliere at the time of Anastasia´s murder.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks. 8-)

Pogo
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
B. wrote:Nice find.

What's interesting too is Valachi claims that Carlo was a "boss with the other side" during the Castellammarese war. I always interpreted that to mean that he was a captain, but this would mean that's pretty unlikely.
Considering Gambino´s vast power later on, it could be that Valachi assumed Carlo was a captain already back then.
B. wrote:
I would be surprised if he wasn't a captain before 1946, so 1936 sounds about right. Him being demoted as consigliere also plays into some of the chaos of figuring out who the administration members were during Anastasia's run.
Unstable guy with an unrest administration for sure. Anastasia had three different underbosses that we know of (possibly more) and two different consiglieres within a six year time span. All this promoting and demoting of guys was surely not good for the stabilty of the Family and may have played a part in his demise.
It seems like he picked several guys who were allies of one another, if not all part of the same faction. Nino Conte, Frank Scalise, and Gambino have all been mentioned as admin members during this time and we know Scalise / Gambino were close. The Contes were apparently close to the Gambinos and probably part of the same Palermitani faction in the family. I wonder if this was strategic on Anastasia's part, as it would keep that group from getting too upset when one of their guys was demoted.

Paolo Gambino wasn't even made during the Castellammarese war... he probably got in toward the end of the war or afterward. I've heard next to nothing about Giuseppe, the other brother. Has there ever been any info confirming that Tommaso Gambino, the father, was a member in Sicily? I believe he eventually came to the US but I could be wrong.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I remember Thom Jones from RD said that Tommaso was made, but he never supplied any evidence for it. I didn't see anything in Carlo's FBI file about it either, but there's a lot of gaps. I think Tommaso may have been from Tommaso Natale or some suburb of Palermo, I forget which one. Tommaso's grandfather Ignazio was from Ravanusa in Agrigento. I didn't see a connection between the Tommaso Gambino line and the other Gambinos in Palermo. It was a common name.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote:I remember Thom Jones from RD said that Tommaso was made, but he never supplied any evidence for it. I didn't see anything in Carlo's FBI file about it either, but there's a lot of gaps. I think Tommaso may have been from Tommaso Natale or some suburb of Palermo, I forget which one. Tommaso's grandfather Ignazio was from Ravanusa in Agrigento. I didn't see a connection between the Tommaso Gambino line and the other Gambinos in Palermo. It was a common name.
Interesting about the Agrigento connection. It's always been implied that Carlo came from a long line of mafiosi and I would believe it based on what we know about him and his relatives, but would love to see some proof. There is that documentary that says he worked for Vito Cascio Ferro as a boy in Sicily but I am sure that's bullshit; they probably just wanted to be able to say he was connected to a "Don Vito".
phatmatress
Straightened out

Post by phatmatress »

Fuck Thom L. Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk