Rooster

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Rooster

Post by antimafia »

JCB1977 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 pm[snip]

Nicky Melia is 100% Calabrian...he is a first cousin to my grandmother.
JCB,

If you wouldn't mind taking a look, please tell me what parts of what I've written below I've got wrong.

One of your grandmothers had the maiden name Mallamo. (At first I guessed that this was your maternal grandmother but then I realized I didn't have enough information from the posts of yours that I have saved over the years.)

The Mallamos, Romeos, and Pratos have ancestry from San Nicola, which is part of the comune of Ardore in Reggio Calabria (provincia).

Nicola (Nick) Melia and his older brother Vincenzo are related to the Mallamos, Romeos, and Milanos. If not related, the Melias were somehow tied in to the Mallamo-Romeo-Milano clan.

Vincenzo Melia, who was born in the comune of Platì, had an attachment to Ardore (which borders Platì). (My guess is that because Ardore is where Vincenzo lived the last years of his life before being arrested in his 80s, he either grew up there, owned properties there, had relatives who lived there, or "retired" there (or a combination of the preceding).

Your great uncle Domenico Mallamo was part of la Società Onorata but relinquished his membership in this Calabrian secret society when he was made in 1928, in Brooklyn, in what was then the Profaci Family.

Nick Melia was probably inducted into the 'ndrangheta--I don't want to write that this is a given--and if he is a 'ndranghetista, this is the reason he could not be made into the Gambino Family or the reason he had to decline any proposed membership in the Gambinos.

The Mallamos, Romeos, Milanos, and Melias had or have relatives in Quebec.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 pm viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3257&sid=d1a7b2125 ... 8&start=20

this was the last posts he made. never cared for him
He seemed like an okay guy and pretty knowledgable. Don't know why he started trolling, probably for his own amusement. Oh well.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

antimafia wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 pm

JCB,

If you wouldn't mind taking a look, please tell me what parts of what I've written below I've got wrong.

One of your grandmothers had the maiden name Mallamo. (At first I guessed that this was your maternal grandmother but then I realized I didn't have enough information from the posts of yours that I have saved over the years.)

The Mallamos, Romeos, and Pratos have ancestry from San Nicola, which is part of the comune of Ardore in Reggio Calabria (provincia).

Nicola (Nick) Melia and his older brother Vincenzo are related to the Mallamos, Romeos, and Milanos. If not related, the Melias were somehow tied in to the Mallamo-Romeo-Milano clan.

Vincenzo Melia, who was born in the comune of Platì, had an attachment to Ardore (which borders Platì). (My guess is that because Ardore is where Vincenzo lived the last years of his life before being arrested in his 80s, he either grew up there, owned properties there, had relatives who lived there, or "retired" there (or a combination of the preceding).

Your great uncle Domenico Mallamo was part of la Società Onorata but relinquished his membership in this Calabrian secret society when he was made in 1928, in Brooklyn, in what was then the Profaci Family.

Nick Melia was probably inducted into the 'ndrangheta--I don't want to write that this is a given--and if he is a 'ndranghetista, this is the reason he could not be made into the Gambino Family or the reason he had to decline any proposed membership in the Gambinos.

Please PM me with specific questions as I don’t want my family history on the forum. YES, Nick Melia’s Brother was a part of Montreal and yes, the Mallamo’s and Romeo’s has relatives in Canada who were part of the N’drangheta.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:41 am
antimafia wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 pm

JCB,

Please PM me with specific questions as I don’t want my family history on the forum. YES, Nick Melia’s Brother was a part of Montreal and yes, the Mallamo’s and Romeo’s has relatives in Canada who were part of the N’drangheta.
JCB, thanks so much for telling us what you were willing to share. I will send you a PM as requested. I entirely understand your reluctance and refusal to discuss your family history--here or anywhere else for that matter.

I'd like to provide you and others some information I have gathered about Vincenzo Melia and his wife's having resided and worked in Quebec in the 1960s.

In 1963, Vincenzo Melia and his wife (Eugenia Maria Tarantino) lived in Saint-Marie. He was a fruit merchant at the time; she was a packager (she had a job in which she packaged items).

In 1968, the couple were then living in Terrebonne. He was a labourer at this time; she was now a housewife.

The above information, except Eugenia's full name, comes from 20th-century Canadian election records (Voters Lists, Federal Elections, 1935-1980).

As I wrote in my first post in this thread, Vincenzo was shot in the face on the day of Paolo (Paul) Cotroni's funeral (August 28, 1998). In Darcy O'Connor's 2011 book, Montreal's Irish Mafia: The True Story of the Infamous West End Gang--a book that I didn't care for but eventually bought anyway--Melia is described as a "known Rizzuto mobster." The page containing this quote (p. 26) is a perfect example of what is wrong with O'Connor's book, as he describes Melia's being shot in the face on the morning of Frank Cotroni Sr's funeral (Frank is Paul's father), which took place in 2004.

Nevertheless, I took "known Rizzuto mobster" to mean that Melia, a well-known 'ndranghetista who had been lumped in with the Toronto-area Siderno Group, had been operating in the Montreal area with permission from the Montreal Mafia hierarchy. My own theory as to what Melia was doing in Quebec in the 1990s is that, having already lived in Toronto at an earlier time in his life (as did brother Nick) and having been charged and sentenced along with Cosimo Commisso of Toronto for the 1981 murder plot involving Nick Melia's girlfriend in Stamford, CT, Melia would have felt comfortable living in Canada; in addition, I also theorized that Melia would have been introduced to the Rizzutos through Commisso himself, as Cosimo and Nick Rizzuto Sr. were apparently very close and considered each other friends.

The research about Melia and his wife's having lived in Quebec in the 1960s proved my theory wrong. He was already familiar with the province. Other research I have done leads me to believe that, in the Montreal area, there is a vibrant community of individuals who have ancestry from Ardore. Various organized-crime figures who have been said to be part of the Armeni clan in Quebec--for example, the deceased Giuseppe Armeni and the currently imprisoned Vincenzo Armeni--have had close ties with the Rizzutos. I haven't done intensive research about where in Calabria the Armenis descend but I have had an inkling that they have ancestry from Ardore. I believe that a longstanding community of ardoresi in the Montreal area means that Vincenzo Melia would have encountered familiar faces when he lived in Quebec in the 1960s and then again in the late 1990s--and who knows whether he was in Quebec before 1963?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 pm[snip]
Vincenzo was born in Platì, in Reggio Calabria, on April 20,1929. Based on the ages that Nick Melia has been assigned in newspaper articles over the years, with the ages of course correlating with the article dates, I have estimated his year of birth as 1932; I'm also guessing he was born in Platì.
Nick Melia was born in Cirella, which is part of the comune of Platì. I forgot I had a large Italian-language document I had saved on an external drive, as the file is larger than 100 MB. If anyone is interested in being sent this file, please send me a PM--I'll temporarily upload the file to Google Drive, send you a link, and then remove the file after a period of time. If you have a Scribd paid account or have a free trial to Scribd at the moment, you can view and donwload the document in its entirety at https://www.scribd.com/document/3492952 ... e-saggezza.

From the file, we learn that Melia emigrated from Italy on October 20, 1954 and ended up in Canada (date unknown). For now my guess is that he headed for Toronto shortly after that date.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

So you think Nicola was a made guy in Canada ? From the papers I read he didn’t want his button ,
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

antimafia wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 pm
antimafia wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 pm[snip]
Vincenzo was born in Platì, in Reggio Calabria, on April 20,1929. Based on the ages that Nick Melia has been assigned in newspaper articles over the years, with the ages of course correlating with the article dates, I have estimated his year of birth as 1932; I'm also guessing he was born in Platì.
Nick Melia was born in Cirella, which is part of the comune of Platì. I forgot I had a large Italian-language document I had saved on an external drive, as the file is larger than 100 MB. If anyone is interested in being sent this file, please send me a PM--I'll temporarily upload the file to Google Drive, send you a link, and then remove the file after a period of time. If you have a Scribd paid account or have a free trial to Scribd at the moment, you can view and donwload the document in its entirety at https://www.scribd.com/document/3492952 ... e-saggezza.

From the file, we learn that Melia emigrated from Italy on October 20, 1954 and ended up in Canada (date unknown). For now my guess is that he headed for Toronto shortly after that date.
Most of my maternal side of the family hails from Cirella, pm me as I’d like to discuss this further. Nick Melia’s grandmother lived next store to my great grandmother in Cirella. My great grandmother came here in 1928. Nicky often visited her and would stay a few weeks at a time as he did some business in Youngstown with Domenico Mallamo, Paolo and Michele Romeo as well as Antonio Ripepi in Pittsburgh, Vincenzo Tripodi in Steubenville and Tony Milano in Cleveland.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

JCB1977, Stroccos, and anyone else following this thread:

After doing more thorough searches in the aforementioned Italian-language file by using the terms "Nicola Melia," "Melia Nicola," "Nick," and "Nik," I realized I had made an error in asserting that the Nick Melia we have been discussing in this thread emigrated from Italy on October 20, 1954. As far as I can tell, after scrutinizing the document more closely, all references in the file to Nicola Melia are to Vincenzo Melia's son Nick; the preceding date is the date of birth (DOB) for this son of Vincenzo's.

My apologies. The first three pages of the file, which is 2,033 pages long, list 66 individuals, along with their place of birth, date of birth, and residence. If you look at the first line below from p. 2 of the document, you'll see where I mistook a date of birth for a date of immigration, not to mention the more serious error of mistaking Vincenzo's son for Vincenzo's brother.

33) MELIA Nicola, nato a Platì, fraz. Cirella, in data 20.10.1954 ed emigrato in data sconosciuta per il Canada;
34) MELIA Vincenzo, nato a Platì il 20.04.1929 e resid. ad Ardore in Via Leopardi N. 32;

The file has numerous mentions of Cirella. At 2,033 pages, the file is mostly about Vincenzo Melia--the file even acknowledges this at one point, despite the long list of 66 individuals mentioned in the first few pages.

JCB1977: I will PM you as you've asked me to do.

Stroccos: I will answer your question later by providing what is only an opinion on my part.