Philadelphia street lottery bust

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Philadelphia street lottery bust

Post by Wiseguy »

Been quite a while of since there was a mob numbers case. Even in New York they appear to becoming more and more rare. Maybe it's a generational thing?

Anyway, don't know if there's any mob connection here...

PHILADELPHIA DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE NAMES NINE IN CITY-WIDE STREET GAMBLING STING
October 19, 2017 by Philadelphia District Attorney's Office

PHILADELPHIA (Oct. 20, 2017) – Philadelphia District Attorney Kelley B. Hodge today announced charges against nine people associated with one of the largest illegal street lottery organizations in Philadelphia. The operation, run by Gary Creagh Sr., generated millions of dollars of illicit profits. A multi-year investigation into the operation was led by the Office’s Task Force on Illegal Gambling, which is funded by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, and was aided by the Philadelphia Police Department’s Vice Squad. A Philadelphia County investigating grand jury recommended the following charges:

Gary Creagh Sr. (DOB: 6-21-51), Frank Creagh (DOB: 6-19-67), William Creagh (DOB: 4-4-68), Kerri Creagh (DOB: 2-21-67), Mark Matera (DOB: 1-6-55), John McAnaney (DOB: 7-30-33), Jabbar Curry (DOB: 5-20-60), Kenneth Athy (DOB: 3-15-41), and Carlos Santiago (DOB: 5-13-39). Each person has been charged with Corrupt Organization (F-1), Dealing in the Proceeds of Unlawful Activities (F-1), Criminal conspiracy (F-1), and Illegal Lotteries (M-1). All of the defendants have been arrested, and if convicted each defendant could receive up to 65 years of incarceration.

“The illegal Creagh organization was truly a family affair, one that generated millions of dollars from dozens of nondescript locations across the City of Philadelphia,” said Kelley B. Hodge, District Attorney. “To the men and women of the Grand Jury, thank you for your hard work on this case. To our partners in the Philadelphia Police Department and the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, I am appreciative of the support and resources you brought to this investigation and I congratulate everyone who worked on this case for shutting down this elaborate and illegal street lottery organization.”

The Creagh organization, which was controlled and led by Gary Creagh, Sr., employed dozens of individuals and operated in approximately 40 locations throughout the City. The operations were highly organized and located in unmarked buildings throughout the City, typically in low-income neighborhoods. “Players” would knock on one of the unmarked storefronts and would be admitted if they were known or not perceived as a threat. Each location typically had two employees, one watching the door and the other took and processed the bets.

“The quality of this investigation, and arrests which followed, are examples of outstanding collaborative work by several law enforcement agencies. We truly appreciate all of our law enforcement partners and the work they do,” said Richard Ross, Philadelphia Police Commissioner.

“We are pleased to see the Local Law Enforcement Grants awarded by our agency used effectively to thwart illegal and unregulated gambling,” said Executive Director Kevin F. O’Toole of the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.

A breakdown of what each defendant did for the organization follows:

Gary Creagh Sr. was the owner and chief operator of the enterprise;
Frank Creagh, Gary Creagh Sr.’s nephew, was assigned to collect money from workers and assisted in the overall management of the operation;
William Creagh assisted in the maintenance and management of the organization;
Kerri Creagh, Gary Creagh Sr.’s daughter, assisted in the financial management of the illegal proceeds earned from the lottery and in the overall operation of the enterprise;
Mark Matera owned several lottery locations with Creagh, collected money from the lottery locations, and assisted in the overall maintenance and management of the enterprise; and
Kenneth Athy, Jabbar Curry, John McAnaney, and Carlos Santiago were employees who worked directly in picking up and delivering money to and from the locations.
All of these defendants were also tasked with maintaining the overall organization and making sure each location ran smoothly. For example, they made sure each of the locations was staffed and well supplied with office supplies; carbon betting slips; telephones; tables; chairs; and coffee makers, coffee cups, cream, sugar, and paper towels. Creagh often would pay the utilities and taxes on a number of the locations, regardless of whether he owned them or not.

To place a bet, a player would fill out a carbon bet slip with their name, numbers picked, and the amount to bet on each number. The carbon bet slips would then be separated into a white copy for the organization and a yellow copy for the player. The lottery offered several betting options for players. Some included bets based on numbers selected in Pennsylvania’s Daily Number and the Big 4 lottery drawings. Winning numbers were also chosen from designated horse races throughout the day. Players could cast bets between 10¢ and $20 depending on the game. The street lottery paid winners a greater value for winning numbers, 700 to 1, compared to the Commonwealth’s legal lottery that pays 500 to 1.

Detectives from the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office and officers from the Philadelphia Police Department conducted surveillance and undercover operations at numerous street lottery locations. The investigation uncovered dozens of locations where bets were placed. More than 30 locations had direct links to Gary Creagh Sr.

The Grand Jury heard extensive evidence about the assets and cash flow of the street lottery enterprise and of Gary Creagh Sr. Over a thirty month period between 2011 and 2014, for example, Creagh deposited over $3 million into his personal accounts. Many of the deposits were made in cash and extensively deposited on the same dates in different banks. None of the cash deposits exceeded $9,000, and the majority of the deposits did not exceed $5,000. Over the last several years, Creagh spent almost $500,000 on luxury vehicles and millions of dollars to purchase numerous properties in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Florida, and Nevada.

https://phillyda.wordpress.com
All roads lead to New York.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Philadelphia street lottery bust

Post by Adam »

Interesting. As a side note, I don't understand why people make lots of deposits under $10,000 as if the IRS doesn't notice that too. If you deposit $6000 in cash in a bank, and do $5000 in cash the next month, the bank still files an 8300 form with the IRS because you've deposited more than $10000.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

I've often wondered if numbers still goes on in certain cities. I follow Detroit and that was huge there in the past. But the last major bust I can think of was in 1999. But the cops seized three and a half million in cash from the operators during the raids so it was profitable then. I don't see it just disappearing. Newspapers never gave a lot of information on that one. When was the last New York one? Anyone know?
PHL_Mob
Straightened out

Post by PHL_Mob »

Really interesting... I wonder where the locations were? If I had to guess, the boys downtown were getting a piece but who knows
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

The sign of times even in the 1990s the philly mob should asked a piece.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Adam wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:16 am I've often wondered if numbers still goes on in certain cities. I follow Detroit and that was huge there in the past. But the last major bust I can think of was in 1999. But the cops seized three and a half million in cash from the operators during the raids so it was profitable then. I don't see it just disappearing. Newspapers never gave a lot of information on that one. When was the last New York one? Anyone know?
The most common busts I've seen in recent years have involved the Dominican lottery.

As for LCN-numbers operations, believe it or not, over the past 15-20 years they seem to be virtually non-existent outside of the tri-state area. And even there I'm seeing them less and less frequently compared to even the early 2000s, which makes me wonder if it's a generational thing.

Except for literally a few exceptions, all mob numbers operations have been by the NY families. One of those exceptions was actually the last one - in January 2013 there was a "Pick 6" lottery bust connected to the DeCavalcantes. The most recent numbera bust before that was in October 2011 involving the Gambinos.
Jonkaro
Associate

Post by Jonkaro »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:03 pm Been quite a while of since there was a mob numbers case. Even in New York they appear to becoming more and more rare. Maybe it's a generational thing?

Anyway, don't know if there's any mob connection here..
The Creagh organization is an Irish-American crime family that's been active in Philly for several generations. I would be surprised if the Philadelphia La Cosa Nostra wasn't getting a cut from this operation.

Gary Creagh's father (I believe his father, anyways) Frank Creagh, known as "Slim" in Philly, was a major player in numbers rackets and partnered with the Italian mob for decades. Some time in the early 1980s, the Creagh organization, including Gary Creagh, took a major blow after being indicted in a numbers operation spearheaded by Raymond Perfetti of the Philly La Cosa Nostra. Until then, the Creagh family ran lotteries throughout Philadelphia and suburbs, including New Jersey.

This latest indictment looks like a revival of Slim Creagh's family business.
Jonkaro
Associate

Post by Jonkaro »

Not sure how to edit my post, but I should probably clarify when I say that 'partnering' with the Italian mob involved splitting up which neighborhoods were ran by Perfetti and which were ran by Creagh. The Creaghs paid protection to the Philly mob in return for this 'patnership.'
Jonkaro
Associate

Post by Jonkaro »

Sorry to triple-post (don't know how to edit) .. I was able to dig up this report about Philadelphia organized crime that suggests the Slim Creagh numbers operation was active at least into the year 1990 (note that Frank was Slim Creagh's middle name, his relatgices called him Frank and the underworld called him Slim, he passed away in 2010 ) Unfortunately this was all I could find online, but it also confirms Gary is his son and the Frank mentioned in the arrest above would be his grandson:
John "Slim" Creagh, 70, The Executive House, 6100 City Line Avenue, Philadelphia. Creagh operates one the largest white-run numbers operations
in Philadelphia, and
one of the two largest operations within Black areas of the city (with Nichols' operationthe only other one comparable in size). While extending throughot the city of Philadelphia with over 60 lead houses, Creagh's operation is based predominantly in Black sections of the city. Creagh, who began his career in numbers in the 1950s, runs a family-based operation with his son, Frank, John, and Gregory, serving as his chief lieutenants
Creagh
himself is now
semi-retired, letting his son Frank run most of the operation. However, in the
eastern section of
Philadelphia, a portion of Creagh's operation is run by two business associates Charles Reaves and Juan Rodriguez.
Like Creagh, Reaves and Rodriguez both have extensive records of arresdts for gsmbling activities. Creagh also has hired Blacks as numbers writers and managers for lead houses. Creagh has had close associations with several Black number operatives. He accepted layoff from Isaiah Ford until Ford severed the relationship, apparently because of a dispute over money. At one time Creagh also had a partnership arrangement with Black numbers operative James Hampton. Part of Creagh's success arises from his style of competition. For example, Creagh=moved into Clifford Ballard's area of operation and began to compete for Ballard's customers. When questioned about competition, Ballard replied, "theres plenty and its coming from Slim Creagh's people ... he must know someone because no one's doing anything about him."

Because of the size of his operastion, Creagh is able to give customers better deals and to absorb more losses than smaller opartives. In this way,
Creagh is able to attract customers and to expand his operation. Other factors contributing to Creagh's success include his willingness dto hire blacks and his reliability in paying on winning hits.

Creagh paid "street tax" to the Philadelphia LCN during part of the 1980s. Nicholas Camarandi, an LCN 220 informant, has stated Creagh operated a sports and numbers book, was involved in loansharking and nactoric,s and paid streettax.

Creagh initially paid the Family $10,000. After this initial payment, he paid $300 per week for three years. He then made a $5,000 payment and paid $600 per week thereafter until sometime in 1 986. At this time, because he feared that Creagh was
cooperating with federal authorities, Caramandi stoppedcollecting from Creagh. During the 1980s, raids by the Citywide Vice Enforcement Unit on11 different locations resulted in the confiscation of over 141,000 numbers plays, tally work in excess of $49,000, and nearly $33,000 in cash. Creagh was arrested twice in the 1980s on gambling related charges. A 1981 arrest in Bensalem resulted in a one-year
probation sentence; 1984 charges in Philadelphia for lotteries and
criminal conspiracy were withdrawn.
Sorry for typos, I couldn't just directly copy-and-paste and my computer keeps freezing.

So apparently Creagh's arrest in the 80s didn't hurt his operation like I originally believed.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Jonkaro wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm Sorry to triple-post (don't know how to edit) .. I was able to dig up this report about Philadelphia organized crime that suggests the Slim Creagh numbers operation was active at least into the year 1990 (note that Frank was Slim Creagh's middle name, his relatgices called him Frank and the underworld called him Slim, he passed away in 2010 ) Unfortunately this was all I could find online, but it also confirms Gary is his son and the Frank mentioned in the arrest above would be his grandson:
John "Slim" Creagh, 70, The Executive House, 6100 City Line Avenue, Philadelphia. Creagh operates one the largest white-run numbers operations
in Philadelphia, and
one of the two largest operations within Black areas of the city (with Nichols' operationthe only other one comparable in size). While extending throughot the city of Philadelphia with over 60 lead houses, Creagh's operation is based predominantly in Black sections of the city. Creagh, who began his career in numbers in the 1950s, runs a family-based operation with his son, Frank, John, and Gregory, serving as his chief lieutenants
Creagh
himself is now
eastern section of
Philadelphia, a portion of Creagh's operation is run by two business associates Charles Reaves and Juan Rodriguez.
Like Creagh, Reaves and Rodriguez both have extensive records of arresdts for gsmbling activities. Creagh also has hired Blacks as numbers writers and managers for lead houses. Creagh has had close associations with several Black number operatives. He accepted layoff from Isaiah Ford until Ford severed the relationship, apparently because of a dispute over money. At one time Creagh also had a partnership arrangement with Black numbers operative James Hampton. Part of Creagh's success arises from his style of competition. For example, Creagh=moved into Clifford Ballard's area of operation and began to compete for Ballard's customers. When questioned about competition, Ballard replied, "theres plenty and its coming from Slim Creagh's people ... he must know someone because no one's doing anything about him."

Because of the size of his operastion, Creagh is able to give customers better deals and to absorb more losses than smaller opartives. In this way,
Creagh is able to attract customers and to expand his operation. Other factors contributing to Creagh's success include his willingness dto hire blacks and his reliability in paying on winning hits.

Creagh paid "street tax" to the Philadelphia LCN during part of the 1980s. Nicholas Camarandi, an LCN 220 informant, has stated Creagh operated a sports and numbers book, was involved in loansharking and nactoric,s and paid streettax.

Creagh initially paid the Family $10,000. After this initial payment, he paid $300 per week for three years. He then made a $5,000 payment and paid $600 per week thereafter until sometime in 1 986. At this time, because he feared that Creagh was
cooperating with federal authorities, Caramandi stoppedcollecting from Creagh. During the 1980s, raids by the Citywide Vice Enforcement Unit on11 different locations resulted in the confiscation of over 141,000 numbers plays, tally work in excess of $49,000, and nearly $33,000 in cash. Creagh was arrested twice in the 1980s on gambling related charges. A 1981 arrest in Bensalem resulted in a one-year
Sorry for typos, I couldn't just directly copy-and-paste and my computer keeps freezing.

So apparently Creagh's arrest in the 80s didn't hurt his operation like I originally believed.
Thanks for the info Jonkaro.

In the future, look at the top right hand corner of your post. You'll see some little boxes, including one that looks like a pencil. Click on that and that is how you can edit your post.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:35 pm
Jonkaro wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm Sorry to triple-post (don't know how to edit) .. I was able to dig up this report about Philadelphia organized crime that suggests the Slim Creagh numbers operation was active at least into the year 1990 (note that Frank was Slim Creagh's middle name, his relatgices called him Frank and the underworld called him Slim, he passed away in 2010 ) Unfortunately this was all I could find online, but it also confirms Gary is his son and the Frank mentioned in the arrest above would be his grandson:
in Philadelphia, and
Creagh
himself is now
eastern section of

Thanks for the info Jonkaro.

In the future, look at the top right hand corner of your post. You'll see some little boxes, including one that looks like a pencil. Click on that and that is how you can edit your post.
was there anything on if they had to pay up tp anyone? i wouldnt be suprised if it was a mob guy who ratted them out lol
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo