Sentences handed down to five men in Mob-related murders

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Sentences handed down to five men in Mob-related murders

Post by HairyKnuckles »

PAUL CHERRY, MONTREAL GAZETTE

Published on: June 22, 2017 | Last Updated: June 22, 2017 8:33 PM EDT

Five men who pleaded guilty last week to conspiracy charges involving the murders of two of ‎the Rizzuto organization’s rivals received sentences on Wednesday that left them with prison terms ranging between four and 11 years.

Superior Court Justice Guy Cournoyer agreed with the sentence recommendations presented to him last week after the five — Édrick Antoine, 29, Olivier Gay, 34, Stanley Minuty, 33, Kevin Tate, 33, and Léonard Faustin Étienne, 37 — admitted they were part of a conspiracy to kill Gaetan Gosselin, 70, who was shot in front of his home in Saint-Léonard on Jan. 22, 2013.

Gay also admitted he was part of a conspiracy to kill Vincenzo Scuderi, 49, who was shot nine days later.

Gosselin was a longtime friend of Raynald Desjardins, a former close associate of Vito Rizzuto who apparently was unwilling to cede the power he had established within the Montreal Mafia while Rizzuto was incarcerated in the U.S. Gosselin was also a business partner of Desjardins. At the time, police sources speculated Gosselin was killed to send a message to Desjardins while he was detained and awaiting a possible trial for the murder of Mafioso Salvatore Montagna.

Project Clemenza, an RCMP investigation into drug trafficking, revealed that Scuderi took orders from Giuseppe (Ponytail) De Vito while De Vito was behind bars for cocaine smuggling. De Vito despised the Rizzuto organization and died of cyanide poisoning inside a federal penitentiary months after Scuderi was killed.

Vito Rizzuto was the head of the Montreal Mafia for decades before he died of natural causes in December 2013.

The five men who pleaded guilty last week are alleged to have ties to a Montreal street gang called Unit 44.

Gay was left with the longest sentence of the five because of his role in both murders. ‎His overall sentence is 18 years, but with time served factored in he was left with a prison term of 11 years and 10 months.

Minuty was sentenced to an overall sentence of 16 years because there was evidence he was the person who pulled the trigger of the gun that killed Gosselin. Minuty was left with a prison term of nearly 10 years to serve starting on Wednesday.

Étienne received an overall sentence of nine years because the evidence related to him was the weakest in the investigation of Gosselin’s murder. He was left with a prison term of four years and five months.

Tate’s sentence — an overall prison term of 15 years — takes into account that he has already been convicted in connection with a homicide in the past. He killed a friend of his by accident during a fight in a bar in Laval more than a decade ago. He was convicted of manslaughter in that case. As of Wednesday, he was left with a prison term of eight years and 10 months.

Antoine was also sentenced to an overall prison term of 15 years, and, like Tate, he has eight years and 10 months left to serve.

///

Video on the shooting and picture of Gosselin can be found in the link.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... ed-murders
There you have it, never printed before.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Sentences handed down to five men in Mob-related murders

Post by Wiseguy »

These sentences are a joke, even for plea deals.
All roads lead to New York.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:26 am These sentences are a joke, even for plea deals.
It´s Canada...
There you have it, never printed before.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

No wonder they commit so many murders, sentences are disgusting.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

Weak enterprise crime laws and no guilt by association.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Now you see why we follow Montreal and Toronto. It's been like this forever with these weak sentences. It's why it's like the 70's there.

And it's only fixing to get even worse.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Was the hit on Gosselin part of the payback by Vito for killing Nick and other Rizzuto relatives and allies? Since Gosselin was associated with Desjardins, who was one of the main responsible...But not even 1 Cosa Nostra soldier among the defendants, don't ethnic Italian gangsters pull the trigger at all anymore, in Canada? I thought there was no lack of shooters in the mafia, since Canada (Montreal especially) seems the last place left where the Cosa Nostra still acts like they were in the 50s, even in Sicily they seem to be more low-profile in the last years, concerning the violence aspect. In the USA, apart from the Zizzo disappearance in 2006 and the Meldish hit in 2013, they haven't killed anymore I think.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 pmIn the USA, apart from the Zizzo disappearance in 2006 and the Meldish hit in 2013, they haven't killed anymore I think.
You're forgetting several hits in the US. If we're talking since Zizzo's disappearance...

April 2007 - Lucchese soldier Frank Lagano shot and killed.

June 2007 - Genovese soldier Rudolph "Rudy" Izzi shot and killed.

July 2008 - Bonanno associate Frank Fresca was shot and killed.

July 2009 - Bonanno soldier Anthony Seccifico shot and killed.

June 2010 - Philadelphia associate Rocco Maniscalco shot and killed.

December 2012 - Philadelphia associate Gino DiPietro shot and killed.

I've left out ones where people were only wounded or it was of a personal nature and not strictly mob related.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:04 pm
Dwalin2014 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 pmIn the USA, apart from the Zizzo disappearance in 2006 and the Meldish hit in 2013, they haven't killed anymore I think.
You're forgetting several hits in the US. If we're talking since Zizzo's disappearance...

April 2007 - Lucchese soldier Frank Lagano shot and killed.

June 2007 - Genovese soldier Rudolph "Rudy" Izzi shot and killed.

July 2008 - Bonanno associate Frank Fresca was shot and killed.

July 2009 - Bonanno soldier Anthony Seccifico shot and killed.

June 2010 - Philadelphia associate Rocco Maniscalco shot and killed.

December 2012 - Philadelphia associate Gino DiPietro shot and killed.

I've left out ones where people were only wounded or it was of a personal nature and not strictly mob related.
Yes, I don't know how I could forget about the DiPietro hit, it was so clumsily done, that forgetting it should be unlikely :) About the others, I didn't know, thanks for the information, I should have followed the news more then...But still, it's only few, while in Canada the mafia is still like "from the old movies", they still could make films based on real events there, without even having to add many fictional details.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Wasnt George DeCicco shot as a result of some little. Eed a few years ago in Brooklyn?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Etna wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 am Wasnt George DeCicco shot as a result of some little. Eed a few years ago in Brooklyn?
It was back in 2007, very close to the time Izzi was killed. But I didn't list it because he was only wounded.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Thanks. My memory is sketchy but wasn't there a beef between them? I think the feds sent out a message that if theres a war they will be all over it.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Etna wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:14 am Thanks. My memory is sketchy but wasn't there a beef between them? I think the feds sent out a message that if theres a war they will be all over it.
There was speculation that both incidents were connected because of the timeframe but I don't think any connection was ever established.
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Here are two articles that give an up date on one of the most important RCMP operation against the Montreal Mafia, Project Clemenza.

Project Clemenza was initiated by the RCMP in 2010 in order to observe and collect intelligence on the rising new mafia generation members, following the take down of Project Colisée, which main target was the upper administration of the Rizzuto organization in November 2006.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... ses-stayed

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... cation-ban
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Laurentian wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 pm Here are two articles that give an up date on one of the most important RCMP operation against the Montreal Mafia, Project Clemenza.

Project Clemenza was initiated by the RCMP in 2010 in order to observe and collect intelligence on the rising new mafia generation members, following the take down of Project Colisée, which main target was the upper administration of the Rizzuto organization in November 2006.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... ses-stayed

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... cation-ban
Both links take me two a West Gazette public transportation article which has no relation to LCN.
Am I the only one experiencing this issue?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.